Skip to main content

Another what is it

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #247614 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Another what is it
Grandad, I was goin to Google the Numbers On it...BUT I can't read them All..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago - 8 months 2 weeks ago #247619 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Another what is it
Grandad

Little weights like that would not balance wings which is not critical considering one wing can have a few thousands of litres of fuel while the opposite wing tank is empty.

Aircraft control surfaces (ailerons, rudder and elevator) must be balanced perfectly to stop "flutter" as forces on them change as the pilot pushes them in and out of the airflow. Flutter can destroy the control surface in as little as two seconds meaning loss of control and destruction of the aircraft. Because they are funny shapes they often can not be balanced aerodynamically around the hinges by the tinwork and must have weights stuck inside, outside and often on extensions to get the perfect position.

A lot of aircraft used depleted uranium which is about the heaviest thing around but although there is zero evidence of danger this has been replaced by other dense metals. If it will do the job, a lump of cheap steel like your dolly can be used.

Here is a photo of a Pilatus Porter like I flew in the Army. The stick protruding from the aileron with the bungee cord and flag attached is a balance weight (depleted uranium). The horns on the elevator which can also be seen also had weights (maybe yours) inside the leading edge.

Last edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis, lemmiwinks

More
8 months 2 weeks ago - 8 months 2 weeks ago #247626 by grandad
Replied by grandad on topic Another what is it
Hayseed, I had a close look at the figures and I think they and their position are as below:
54133 M5507 C
T45933 M7471

hope that's right

Lang, The dolly isn't cheap steel, it is non magnetic and doesn't rust, and weighs about a pound more than the flat iron in the pic, not sure about stainless either.
Don't know about depleted uranium, I've been whacking this with a hammer for years and it hasn't gone off yet :whistle:
Last edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by grandad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Lang, PaulFH, wee-allis, theabundantlife

More
8 months 2 weeks ago - 8 months 2 weeks ago #247636 by Lang
Grandad

Just had a look at the periodic table for the heaviest metals.

The only thing right up there with a reasonable cost is Tungsten which is twice as heavy as lead and the same weight as Gold but as you have discovered has the benefit of being mighty hard. It is only about $30 Kg.

Depleted uranium is heavier but not socially acceptable. They are even marching in the streets to ban Depleted Uranium (almost zero radiation) from anti-tank armour piercing shells. Damn good thing too, somebody might get hurt, we need a kinder gentler army.

Lots of metals heavier than Tungsten but one of the cheapest is Platinum which if that is what your blocks are made of you had better get down to the bank and collect your $100,000. Osmium, the heaviest is 30 times more expensive than Gold.

When considering the “toughest” materials, most people either think first about diamonds (a form of carbon) or titanium. But you should also add tungsten to the list. It’s actually the strongest material known to man next to diamonds. Of all the non-alloyed metals, it has the highest melting point. It also has the lowest vapor pressure and the highest tensile strength.
Last edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Inter-Action, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #247637 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Another what is it

Hayseed, I had a close look at the figures and I think they and their position are as below:
54133 M5507 C
T45933 M7471

hope that's right
Thanks, Grandad... Though It wasn't much help at all..(Actually NO help at All. :evil: ). Google lead Me straight to this Thread..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #247638 by Lang
Hayseed

You can now use that link as a reference in your academic paper on the subject. I suspect that is the quality of a lot of references.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wee-allis, theabundantlife

More
8 months 1 week ago #247862 by Southbound
Replied by Southbound on topic Another what is it
Does anyone know what gearbox this is?

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
8 months 1 week ago - 8 months 1 week ago #247865 by Lang
Looks "tractorish" but with extractors and rubber boot maybe not?
Last edit: 8 months 1 week ago by Lang.

More
8 months 1 week ago #247868 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic Another what is it
Some used to fit English 4 speed boxes to the early Holdens. Riley was one choice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
8 months 1 week ago #247869 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Another what is it
No idea but Im thinking little Bedford truck or maybe Bedford van ?

I worked with a fella decades ago that put a 202 in Ford transit van so I think adaptor plates and bell housings were made for just about everything and anything for the red motor
Could even be a little Jap truck

As I said I'm no help at all

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Time to create page: 0.489 seconds