Skip to main content

Unknown overdrive gearbox car / light truck.

More
7 months 4 weeks ago #247884 by asw120
Hi all, I have been meaning to post this for some time. It's a 3 speed with overdrive, as near as I can tell. It came with a load of Studebaker parts, which had a smattering of other stuff thrown in. There are no remains of markings on the tags. Any ideas?

Thanks, Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, wee-allis

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 months 4 weeks ago #247887 by Mrsmackpaul
So is thay
first low
Second direct
Third overdrive ???

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #247907 by asw120

So is thay
first low
Second direct
Third overdrive ???

Paul
Standard 3 speed with an overdrive unit on the back, like old Studes and Chrysler Royals and early Toyota Crowns and some pommy stuff.
It has just occurred to me that there is no solenoid like usual on this one.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #247909 by cobbadog
No solenoid but looks like a selector lever at the rear on the o/d section so maybe a seperate rod to another lever?

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #247910 by JOHN.K.
Probably had a vacuum chamber working the lever ......pull a bolt and see if its metric ......looks Japanese to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
7 months 3 weeks ago - 7 months 3 weeks ago #247911 by Dave_64
Not one of those Laycock de Normavilles that the poms used to like on their Armstrong Siddleys, Austin Healy's even some of their Humbers??
Had one years ago looked a bit similar, had electric solenoid and planetary drive with fifty thousand springs!
Mate had similar thing in a Healy but had a vacuum solenoid??
Although having another look at the shape of the box itself as well as the shifter housing, it does resemble a Warner or NP tranny?
Damn interesting though!
Dave
Last edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by Dave_64.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #247914 by Mrsmackpaul
There's a lot of bolt holes in the bell housing
And it looks like the clutch is more like a truck type than a car type, yet the transmission itself looks tiny

And the clutch looks like it is operated from the left so would this be a LHD vehicle?

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 months 3 weeks ago - 7 months 3 weeks ago #247916 by Lang
Dave

Definitely not a Laycock. Here is one (from an MGB but they are all similar) that I have just fitted to my 1923 Bean 14. They are very small, the can is touching the box. Pulley is for a remote alternator. This has an adapter for remote shaft mounting but normally they bolt up to the gearbox.

Last edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64, Inter-Action, wee-allis

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #247917 by Dave_64
Lang, just threw it in there as a 'maybe', but happy to be corrected!
As I said, tranny ribbing and size puts me in mind of either a Warner Gear or an NP.
If it came with a few Studey bits and pieces, fair chance it is one of their overdrive units, Believe Studey used both them and a version of the Warner T10 in their 289 V.8's.
The cable has me thrown a bit though, possibly something to do with either the speedo drive or the remote to pull it into overdrive via some sort of solenoid or vacuum control??
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #247918 by Lang
If it is overdrive the speedo connection will have to be shifted to the back of the overdrive unit or it will read wrong in the normal gearbox direct drive output position.

Is it one of those "free-wheel" units that gained popularity in the late 30's on fancy cars such as Chryslers?

Time to create page: 0.528 seconds