Skip to main content

Unknown overdrive gearbox car / light truck.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #247922 by jeffo
On dad’s Packards and Chryslers, they had a dash operated cable to lock out the over running clutch.
You yanked on the lever while maintaining drive and then she locked up on the over run.
Pretty cool with the free wheeling setup. Once underway, gear changes could be made without the clutch.
Always a panic when coming to a stop though!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago - 7 months 3 weeks ago #247923 by asw120
It's not the usual Borg Warner, I've got a few of those.
I too, was thinking Japanese. The long gear lever screams light truck. Was thinking Toyota Stout, etc, but pictures are elusive.
The one freewheel unit I have here is an early Borg Warner on which you partially select gear for freewheel, or lift a lever to fully select said gear for direct engagement. (anyone got any Stude straight 8 parts? FC, FD models)
With no solenoid, you could technically engage overdrive in 1st. I might take it to Kingaroy.

Thanks all!

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by asw120.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #247924 by wee-allis

If it is overdrive the speedo connection will have to be shifted to the back of the overdrive unit or it will read wrong in the normal gearbox direct drive output position.

Is it one of those "free-wheel" units that gained popularity in the late 30's on fancy cars such as Chryslers?

Our 38 Chrysler Royal C18 had a cable operated overdrive. The button was under the dash on the right-hand side of the steering c0lum.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #247925 by hayseed

. The long gear lever screams light truck. Was thinking Toyota Stout, etc, but pictures are elusive.

Thanks all!

All the Stouts I've seen had steering Column Gear Change......
BISTBC

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: asw120

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #247932 by Southbound
The bell housing looks Chrysler/Valiant slant 6 to me.

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #247941 by Inter-Action
Toyota Stout where / are column change . Great light com vehicle. Bell housing possibly early Chrysler ? Dave.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #247952 by asw120
Checked a dead slant down the back, not that. Does have a potentially early Studebaker number in the bellhousing and seems very similar, but not quite a match to a Rockne engine down the back. Has R7-1 cast into the overdrive housing, which indicates a Warner overdrive, but seems they were also fitted to other gearboxes, so may still be old American.
Remains a mystery, for now. Appreciate all the suggestions.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #247959 by Dave_64
Got us hooked now!
Am sure switched-on blokes this site can find out and identify!
I know it's a lot later, but Chrysler and GM got together around the 1970 oil crisis in the States and bought out a box under the 'New Venture' handle, was a variation of the light duty, campervan, instead of straight 4 speed, was 3 and O'D,.
Used to be able to handle the high torque engines.
Lasted cupla years until replaced with ZF 5 speeds with O'D, among a few other makes.
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.494 seconds