Skip to main content

Whats It for a Bundy

More
13 years 4 months ago #39032 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: Whats It for a Bundy
Ron your that close you should be able to smell the paint ;)

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 4 months ago #39033 by
Replied by on topic Re: Whats It for a Bundy
O.K., I'll go with a Cat 3600 series .. and I reckon a 3618. Biggest POS that Cat ever built .. typical of Cat, think they can build the greatest marine engines out, from scratch .. but they are better off sticking to crawler tractors .. :(

More
13 years 4 months ago #39034 by GM Diesel
Bundy for you Ron. Yes its a Cat 3618.

Cat built the 3618 high output for the fast ferry market to compete with the MTU 20V8000 engine.
The 3600 series in a steady load power house application were okay. Mostly 3616 engines.
The 3618 was worked to death on the test bed however nothing tests an engine like being at work in its real application and the fast ferry gig driving waterjets is about as hard as it comes. Being run at full noise100% power then the load coming off in a flash and buy the time the governor is trying to work out what to do and pull the revs back the full load comes back on again. Broken cranks are usually the outcome.
These donks in marine started out at a 7200kw rating @ 1150 rpm but then they cranked em to around 9000kw and thats when the trouble started.
The donk in the pic grabbed a bigend and spun the shells resulting in a damaged journal.
These cranks cannot be ground or rebuilt so its scrap.
Next problem is there is no cranks left for them so this donk is getting the last crank left in captivity from the original test engine.
Explaination of the picture : Take off turbos and heads. Undo sump and drop into bilge. Chain block block and crank into the air and support on legs then lower crank and get out of boat....not an easy job.
If block is cactus we cut a hole in the side of the boat and drag em out side ways on scate's....not pretty but it works.

Basil

More
13 years 4 months ago #39035 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: Whats It for a Bundy
i should be over to collect the old crank in about....soon
1/4 on the truck and the rest on the dog!
that'll do me till the ground dries out bloke!
Thanks for the quiz basil
well done
chocs 8-)

More
13 years 4 months ago #39036 by GM Diesel
Crank would make a good strainer post at your front gate chocs.
3618 should've been built with wingnuts on the head studs :D

Jokes aside the other Cat donks we use are great...3516's, 3512's in the smaller boats. 3408's and 3406's for genset donks are great.

Basil

More
13 years 4 months ago #39037 by K-TRON
Replied by K-TRON on topic Re: Whats It for a Bundy
And I was going to guess it was a Deutz 545....Oh well, better luck next time

Tis a huge engine, I had trouble lifting the crank for my 6v53. If only I had a lifting tool like that

Chris

1977 General Motors / Detroit Diesel 6V53T - rebuilt&&320Hp @ 2800rpm

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 4 months ago #39038 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Whats It for a Bundy

Bazzr
Gudday M8

Gr8 pix
Keep m Cummin

Ifn U need a deezel to do wot u want
u shoulda cut to the chase early on in the peace
n fitted screemers
the luvley soundin 2 strokerz
n U wooda had much change to buy, a few truck loads of Bundy
LOL
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #39039 by
Replied by on topic Re: Whats It for a Bundy
Baz - I knew the 3618 was rated at 7200KW, but I didn't know they'd screwed them up to 9000KW! No wonder they're giving problems!
What kind of Dodgy Bros engineering produces huge crankshafts you can't grind or recondition in any manner?? ::)

Unfortunately, Cat have plenty of dogs in their engine models. The 3524 in the 797 trucks is so unreliable, they need a zipper on the mounting brackets.
The 3508 in the loaders and dozers has a reputation for ventilating blocks with conrods on a regular basis.

There's very few V-model Cat engines one could ever say were the greatest engine ever built. The 1100/3208 was a dog for years, until Cat redesigned it and made it reasonably reliable.
The 3408 and 3412 have a reputation for needing big end bearing shells every 6000 hrs, or you stand to lose a bottom end.

The Detroits, despite their noise and leaks, were twice as reliable as the nearest Cat engine. The big MTU's have earned a reputation in the iron ore country as the only engine that will stand up to the pace.

Once again, Cat did what they always do. When they have a dog of a product (large marine engines designed by Cat), they went out and bought MAK.
Hey presto! .. problem solved! .. Cat now have a reliable big marine engine line! .. ::)

More
13 years 4 months ago #39040 by GM Diesel
Ron,
I think Cat taking on MAK was a knee jerk reaction when the 3618 program fell over to fil a hole.
Minimum weight = speed. Whilst the MAK engines are in a good power range for our caper they are to heavy.
Turbines are perfect however unless running at full noise not very efficient and fuel costs limit there use in ferries. We have used General Electric LM2500+ turbines here rated at 19,000kw each with good results performance wise but the fuek numbers just don

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #39041 by Tatra
Replied by Tatra on topic Re: Whats It for a Bundy
It's been a long while since I spent time in a ship's engine room and I know they improved them buzz boxes a lot but I used to hate all medium-speed engines, it was a question of when the bloody things would go wrong. Worst back then were the French SEMT-Pielsticks, what a pile of poo, I could do the injectors on them in my sleep. Luckily I spent most of my working career as 3rd assistant engineer on ships fitted with proper slow speeders like Sulzers and B&Ws - put it on 102 RPM and forget about it for the 16 days from Eilat to Singapore and then the few odd days down to Brisbane, pirate starights and all... We had a shaft generator so did not need to rely on the the W
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by Tatra.

Time to create page: 0.484 seconds