Skip to main content

Heres a VERY rare one ?

More
12 years 11 months ago #51790 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Re: Heres a VERY rare one ?
I don't know about the OMO tag, but if you want to learn a bit about the Air Cell Combustion process go to Free Patents Online and bring up patent no's 1944352 and 1941805. It is also known as the Lanova system.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #51791 by paul404
Replied by paul404 on topic Re: Heres a VERY rare one ?
Dave the crates are on twist locks mate, and good to see theres no dirty tarps or rope, and note no oil leaks on the snow!!! :o ;) ;D ;D ;D

• Topic Author
12 years 11 months ago #51792 by
Replied by on topic Re: Heres a VERY rare one ?
Thanks Paul, for putting DD's mind at rest.
Maybe he can get a good nights Beauty Sleep now. :)

Ray, Thanks for that, I will now have a look and educate myself a bit more.

Cheers
RS :)

• Topic Author
12 years 11 months ago #51793 by
I'm intrigued now. I've never heard of the OMO injection system. I do know all about the Lanova energy cell injection system.
I think the term "air-cell" is confusing, because some early fuel injection systems used pressurised air to inject the fuel.

Caterpillar examined every injection principle and design available .. and even bought 4 diesel engines from other manufacturers, around 1927-28, to examine the best design for a diesel tractor engine.
They studied all the systems at great length, and finally decided on the precombustion chamber system. The early Cat precombustion system is really a simplified Ricardo energy cell system.

The Ricardo energy cell uses an offset injector to give swirl to the charge in the precombustion chamber. The Cat system just placed the injector centrally, there was no swirl.

The Germans had the edge on the rest of the world in diesel design. MAN had the first truck diesel in 1923, and Buda (U.S.A.) built their first diesel under licence from MAN in 1928.
Bosch had fuel pump design and injection down pat by the late 1920's .. and some of the first Cat diesel engines, in the Diesel Sixty tractor, were actually fitted with Bosch fuel injection pumps.
This was because Cat was having trouble trying to get the tolerances and design of their fuel pumps correct, in the early stages of building them.
The tolerances in fuel injection pump elements, between the plunger and barrel, are as small as 1/10,000 of an inch (.0001").

Caterpillar eventually imported German & Swiss watchmakers in 1931, and employed numerous women in their fuel pump manufacturing facility, to get the desired results.
The watchmakers and the women had the necessary fine touch to be able to get the exacting tolerances correct.

The Lanova energy cell system was developed by two Germans, Franz Lang and Albert Wielichand, who founded the Lanova company in Germany in 1930.
The Lanova system has a figure-eight shaped combustion chamber, and the injector is installed horizontally in the side of the head.
The energy cell is located on the opposite side of the head, and is usually removable. The fuel is squirted across the combustion chamber, and some enters the small opening of the energy cell, with the combined action of squirting, plus the action of compression as the piston rises.

The combination of fuel and air in the energy chamber, along with rapidly-increasing pressure, sees the mixture ignite, and then blast its way out of the energy cell opening .. rapidly igniting the remainder of the fuel/air mixture in the main combustion chamber.

The Lanova system worked quite well, and had numerous advantages. It could use low grade fuel, it had high combustion efficiency, and it had lowered combustion chamber peak pressures, upon ignition.

However, the Lanova system was noisy, with a classic diesel "rattle" .. and the death of the system was its inability to remain efficient at high engine speeds.
The Lanova injection works well up to about 1800 RPM .. but over that, fuel burn starts to degrade, as the combustion takes too long to complete its injection and combustion cycle.

With the advent of high speed diesels (for greater efficiency) of 2000 RPM and higher, the Lanova system could not cut it. As a result, engine designers went back to direct injection, which provides rapid combustion.

The advent of modern materials and improved injection pump design, saw vastly increased injection pressures, which is what made direct injection workable .. when it wasn't workable in the 1930's.

More
12 years 11 months ago #51794 by grandad
Replied by grandad on topic Re: Heres a VERY rare one ?
Hi Roland,
It takes longer these days but I finally fell in about the 'Clean Engine' (too much 'Surf'ing?)
Onetrack,
The Omo air cell system with controlled turbulence was patented by Omo of Zurich in 1930. It was used on Vomag and Hansa LLoyd engines in Germany, and the American Hercules engines were based on it, with modifications. Have a look at patent no. 1758460.

• Topic Author
12 years 11 months ago #51795 by
Hi Grandad,

Dont worry about it.
Everything takes a bit longer to get to The Island ;)

Cheers
RS :)

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #51796 by Tatra
Replied by Tatra on topic Re: Heres a VERY rare one ?
"An outline of the VOMAG production, centred around the military. It appears that the Wehrmacht greatly favoured the Vomag vehicles (some good pics here - the titles with underlines) .."

Onetrack,

The trucks on the kfz der Wehrmacht site are most likely enlisted civilian trucks - the Germans had a chronic shortage of heavy trucks and therefore unless it was needed inside the Vaterland, off to Russia it went...

Before the war started VOMAG had a design on the drawing board for a flat 12 350 hp diesel engine for super coaches and trucks. I mentioned this elswhere but Germany had road trains way back in the 1930s and you can just about imagine one of these beasts on a trip from somewhere in occupied Russia delivering grain in Berlin or Munich.

Cheers,

T

PS: The competition, B
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by Tatra.

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #51797 by Tatra
Replied by Tatra on topic Re: Heres a VERY rare one ?
Anyone thinking I was on the funny juice, here are bad scans from an article (by B. Brennecke) in the German mag Historischer Kraftverkehr of the monsters Henschel and VOMAG had on the cards for the 40s (those are the Autobahn coach chassis but the engines would have gone in the truck chassis also):

The BX 31 engine had a displacment of 31L and 330 hp - nothing even comparable in the UK, France, Switzerland or the US...

And the VOMAG proposal, in this case the 12 R 4090 engine with 35L and 350 hp:

Cheers,

T
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by Tatra.

Time to create page: 0.449 seconds