Skip to main content

Highway Quiz #2

• Topic Author
12 years 3 weeks ago #79726 by
Highway Quiz #2 was created by
1/ Where would you find the Gunbarrel HWY in what state.

2/ Where does it start and finish ??.

3/ what was the Hume called from Sydney to the Vic boarder before it was the Hume & Hume Hwy.

4/ What the Hume called from Melbourne to the Vic boarder before it was the Hume & Hume Hwy.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago - 12 years 3 weeks ago #79727 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: Highway Quiz #2
1. WA
2.Victory Downs - Carnegie Station
3. Great South Road
4. Sydney Road

PS. depending on who you talk to
2.Wiluna - Yulara

chocs 8-)

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #79728 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: Highway Quiz #2
There were commercial bus services over Gunbarrel Hwy, but they ran at night in each direction: what a waste of money for adventure seekers. I never did go. AFAIK, they don't run any more.

Hume Hwy is interesting. From my paddleboat and bridge hobbies, I have tracked the history of Union Bridge, Wodonga/Albury.
From the 1830s there was a ferry crossing, by dugout canoe. Even then, this was the nation's most major road artery: perhaps one or two through voyagers per day.
It was upgraded to a punt, then to the first Union Bridge.
* Albury - Wodonga 1 (1861, Union Bridge, wooden, demolished 1898)
This was beaten by an 1857 pontoon bridge at Echuca, but was the first fixed bridge over Murray River. It was followed closely by an 1863 bridge at Wahgunyah/Corowa (which was demolished in 1894, after the surviving 1892 one was opened).

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

• Topic Author
12 years 3 weeks ago #79729 by
Replied by on topic Re: Highway Quiz #2
Your pretty good Chocs but your wrong on #2 and your wrong on your PS have another go mate your close but no cicar. Dave

More
12 years 3 weeks ago - 12 years 3 weeks ago #79730 by allan
Replied by allan on topic Re: Highway Quiz #2

There were commercial bus services over Gunbarrel Hwy, but they ran at night in each direction

I doubt it. Although Dick Lang and a few other 4WD adventure tour operators did (and perhaps still do) take HD 4WD buses across the Gunbarrel at infrequent intervals.

I have a friend who claimed to have crossed the Gunbarrel on a coach trip. Nope. When I pressed her for more details it appears that some operators are creating the misapprehension that the Great Central rd, aka the Warburton rd (from Laverton), is the Gunbarrel. It's not.

I have traversed the real Gunbarrel twice, at least on the bit for which you can get permits or isn't on private station lands, from Warburton to Carnegie.

PS. Depending on your map, the Gunbarrel (as built and named by Len Beadell) either starts at Victory Downs station or Mulga Park (the next station in from Victory Downs), but it certainly ends at Carnegie station - not at Wiluna!

PPS. Modern day maps claim that it runs from Yulara via Warburton then to Wiluna via Carnegie, and it is stated as being only suitable for experienced desert travellers due to it's remoteness, and will take 4 days.
Last edit: 12 years 3 weeks ago by allan.

• Topic Author
12 years 3 weeks ago #79731 by
...now..what about the connie sue hwy...wish len beadell was still around :'( :'( 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #79732 by tim
Replied by tim on topic Re: Highway Quiz #2
Detective, I'm sure Len would be only too happy to sort out this conundrum. He would know for sure where it started & where it ended, unless of course it has been extended since his might team developed the roads. Cheers Tim ;)

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #79733 by D30Inter
Replied by D30Inter on topic Re: Highway Quiz #2
G'day all, new to the site
i think q2 is warburton - lake carnegie

STRESS The confusion created when ones mind overides the bodies basic &&desire to choke the

• Topic Author
12 years 3 weeks ago #79734 by
Dec The Connie Sue Was named after Lens daughter and I was able to meet the man few times before his death .

Allan I belive having driven the old hwy back in about 1978 it stated at Giles whether station and it ended at Willuna . Dave

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #79735 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: Highway Quiz #2
Deadly..
Source Wikipedia:

The Gunbarrel Highway is an isolated desert track in the Northern Territory, South Australia and Western Australia. It consists of about 1,400 km (870 mi) of washaways, heavy corrugations, stone, sand and flood plains. The Gunbarrel Highway connects Victory Downs, just north of the Northern Territory/South Australia border to Carnegie Station in Western Australia (this is the direction the road was constructed).[1] Some sources also incorrectly show the highway extending west to Wiluna.

chocs 8-)

Time to create page: 0.514 seconds