Skip to main content

1956 Austin 3 ton Crank handle.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #157883 by Chris Mc
As the title, after a crank handle to fit a 1956 Austin with a 4ltr 6cyl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #157884 by hayseed
Chris, I can't imagine It being Too hard to make one..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #157885 by Pierre
ChrisMc,
If nothing comes to light, for what it's worth my '53 Bedford crank handle is home-made & worked a treat.

If you can get hold of a 700mm length of 18mm diameter rod & oxy torch, make first 90 degree bend at 340mm & second 90 degree bend at another 210mm.

Drill an 8mm diameter push fit hole12mm in from engine end of the handle to suit a 8mm Diameter x 35mm long pin.

Push/Drive pin in so it's central of the handle diameter.

There's a right way to hold your hands when cranking so you don't get a kickback on your hands when it starts. I can't remember what that was now, but mine always started quite easily. Someone on here will know. :)
Take care.
cheers
Pierre

Pierre

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #157886 by Chris Mc
Thanks for the info, I use to have a 1949 Bedford that I loved starting by crank and thought it would be good to start the Austin by crank just for the fun of it. I know it's not rocket science to make one but I thought there might be one sitting around out there not being used.

Cheers Chris.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #157887 by atkipete
If you are making one ensure it comes out easily in the reverse direction and wont stay engaged when the engine starts.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #157888 by VicHung
Pierre, you hold the crank handle with all your fingers and your thumb around the same side of the handle. DON'T have your thumb on the opposite side to your fingers (as if you were making an "O" with your thumb and index finger).

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #157889 by Pierre
OK, thanks VicHung for the refresher. I remember my dad getting into trouble with an A40 along time ago.
cheers
Pierre

Pierre

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #157890 by Intermodel63
Hi ChrisMc

I have to make a crank for mine too & the dimensions listed will help, thanks Pierre. If you have the 4 litre tuned and everything happening when it should, a brisk lift of the handle will be all it takes & she will be purring. Got some pics?

Graham

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #157891 by Chris Mc
Here ya go Graham. I showed you mine now you show me yours LOL
[IMG

More
7 years 8 months ago #174234 by PDU
A little off track, but . . .
I bought an old Ford Pilot with a mate, many years ago, I used to crank start it each morning, drive to his house, and then he would drive us both to work from there. On the way home he would start it, drive back to his house and I would drive home from there. All very easy but I was the one cranking it on cold mornings, he was cranking it just after four in the afternoon when it was much warmer. After about two months I convinced him it was time to buy a new 6 volt battery - MUCH easier.

Time to create page: 0.494 seconds