Skip to main content

1418 Mercedes Benz bonnet badge.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #159365 by geoffa
I am looking for a Mercedes Benz badge as fitted to the front of the bonnett of a 1418 truck.

In a thread started by Bugly in 2012 about his MB 911, Bugly said he bought an OEM MB badge part number 6738100018. It was 74mm in diameter with 5mm pins. offset and 49mm apart. I think the original badge on the 1418 trucks was 110mm in diameter and the pins were 60mm apart. The holes in the bonnett on my 1971 three wiper model are 60mm apart. There is one for sale on ebay in Germany for $A330.00. Too much for me.

I have looked at photos of many 1418 MB trucks on Google images. Old original trucks seem to have the larger badge and restorations have the smaller badge.

Apart from scrounging around the wrecking yards does anyone have any thoughts on where I might get one ?.

Geoff.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by geoffa.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #159366 by hayseed
Geoff, there are few 1418 enthusiasts on here,,
I'm pretty sure they'll chime in in the next day or so..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
8 years 11 months ago #159367 by prodrive
Hey Geoffa,
I bought one a while ago, pretty sure it was from ebay- but it wasn't $330 thats for sure. I thought it was more like $40! So perhaps keep an eye on the net, just see if one turns up?
Also try Neil Fairley, o3 533 57744, he is a pretty handy fella with Benz parts.
Or cheaper and more fun, you could pinch the one from Buc's truck, when he's not looking?
Good luck in the search, I'll keep my eye out too.
cheers!
Richard

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #159368 by cemeNTepede
[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

This is the real deal.Removed from a 1418 last used by Fleet Owners,Alice Springs.
As you can see the badge itself is undamaged although there is discolourisation in the blue circle,which in my opinion would be impossible to fix.
The pegs are at 60mm centres.
The gasket is,as you see,somewhat ordinary.The gasket is necessary however as the badge is flat backed whereas the front of the bonnet is not.
As a small matter of interest,notice that the badge/gasket is a Hella brand item.

How are you off for 1418 badges ? I have two.See below.....

[IMG

[IMG

Also a mechanics patch,unused,slightly soiled from 45 years hiding in my cupboard
but authentic as issued to me when serving my apprenticeship with Benz (NZ)

[IMG

$50.00 the lot.Post incl. to anywhere in Aus.

Welcome any info or pictures of 60s Australian AEC Mustangs (Leyland Comet lookalikes)
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by cemeNTepede.

More
8 years 11 months ago #159369 by Buc
CemeNTepede.
You dun PM the ol Buc and he be put'in the funds in ya account.
Dun ya tell ProDrive though.
He be look'in fer sum new badges.
Regards, Buc.

More
8 years 11 months ago #159370 by geoffa
CemeNTepede,

Looks like Buc has beat me by a few minutes.

Geoff.

8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #159371 by
...common decency says they're geoffa's ::)

More
8 years 11 months ago #159372 by cemeNTepede
Twas Geoff's thread so ComDec will prevail..........

Welcome any info or pictures of 60s Australian AEC Mustangs (Leyland Comet lookalikes)

More
8 years 11 months ago #159373 by prodrive
Bugger common decency, these are BENZ parts we're talkin bout here! GOLD, I tells ya, GOLD! Ole Buc woulda been mentally sewing that patch on his dust jacket too...
Geez!
Good on ya Cementy, hope that works out well Geoffa.
cheers
Richard
:) :)

More
8 years 11 months ago #159374 by 70499

I am looking for a Mercedes Benz badge as fitted to the front of the bonnett of a 1418 truck.

In a thread started by Bugly in 2012 about his MB 911, Bugly said he bought an OEM MB badge part number 6738100018. It was 74mm in diameter with 5mm pins. offset and 49mm apart. I think the original badge on the 1418 trucks was 110mm in diameter and the pins were 60mm apart. The holes in the bonnett on my 1971 three wiper model are 60mm apart. There is one for sale on ebay in Germany for $A330.00. Too much for me.

I have looked at photos of many 1418 MB trucks on Google images. Old original trucks seem to have the larger badge and restorations have the smaller badge.

Apart from scrounging around the wrecking yards does anyone have any thoughts on where I might get one ?.

Geoff.

The original metal/enamel MB bonnet badges still command good $$$ theses days, although 300 bills is a bit steep. The new Hella plastic versions (OE) are cheap and cheerful. The badge gasket is some type of spongey foam.
Original badge is on the left side of pictures.

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

&&1959 Mercedes L319

Time to create page: 0.555 seconds