Skip to main content

Bedford j type diff ratio???????????????

More
14 years 3 months ago #20577 by cribotow
i have found one thing you cant find on google
Bedford diff ratio,s i need to know how long it will take me to get home! i think its the same on all 16" wheel jobs 4.77-1 but i need to know,that ratio with 825x16 would be ok for 90 k,s me thinks,which is ok,they will love me on the Newell ;D ;D

&&Grasp

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #20578 by GM Diesel
I could be wrong but I thought the J series was an Eaton diff...if so have a look on the end of the pinion shaft.
The ratio or the tooth count will be stamped on there.
If its tooth count divide big number by the small and thats your ratio.
ie 46-9.....46 divide by 9 = 5.1 ratio

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
14 years 3 months ago #20579 by Colin
cribpointowmater, I found this atwww.acwbedford.com.au
How to check the ratio.
Turn both rear wheels at the same time,
one [1] revolution
in the same direction and count
how many turns of tailshaft.
e.g. one turn of both wheels

More
14 years 3 months ago #20580 by cribotow
hi Colin i did see thst site wasn,t sure if that was original ratio or one they had available also the truck is in Parkes im in Melb, :P and see there lies the problem

&&Grasp

More
14 years 3 months ago #20581 by kennymopar2
if the truck hasnt done much distance for a while the tyres may not be up to it ..also if some suspension work /king pins etc are worn id be happy just to cruise home slowly & arrive alive .. the steering box mite need a quick "nip up" if theres a bit of play happening

More
14 years 3 months ago #20582 by cribotow
yes KM its funny when ww2 tyres start disintergrating in the rear view mirror of the tow truck and i aint got spares,had to rebuild the 329 Dodge in Adelaide b4 i drove it home,this thing sounds like it should be good it went through its pink slip recently,i seem to make a habit of these adventures ;D

&&Grasp

More
14 years 3 months ago #20583 by kennymopar2
i could of got it to melb for you around the 20th of this month ..but im already full going down .. but nothing coming back yet . . unless i find another project >:( lol

More
14 years 3 months ago #20584 by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman
Knowing I don't have a full 2 or 4 post hoist, I can't easily use "Colin's" method of rotating both wheels at once, unless I got help. As I was needing to check the ratios on a few diffs when choosing a new back axle for my MAN 650F, I asked a friend who's a truck wrecker how to do it with just 1 wheel.
The method is to jack up one wheel & chock the other, put it in 'angel gear' & put a chalk mark on the tail shaft & a mark on the inside of the wheel that's up. Turn the tail shaft and count the tail shaft turns until the free wheel turns 2 times. In your case it may turn 4.7
I can do this method with the equipment I have. I know that doesn't help you until ypou get to where your new J type is, but thought it seemed a good simple method.

By the way, I just checked my Bedford TJ instruction manual printed in 1971. It has everything about the track widths & other specs of J1 thru to J6, and the rear axles are mentioned in 3 places in the book, but nowhere does it say the diff ratio. We know now thanks to the forum, but surely a manufacturer should have thought of putting it in.

Kind Regards

14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #20585 by
A small truck like the J1 will be fitted with a highway ratio diff, but I can't really believe that figure of 2700 RPM at 100 kmh. I'd have said a lot higher RPM at 100 kmh. I couldn't imagine the J1 doing any more than about 100 kmh, and that down a long hill. I dunno what the 214's were governed to, but about 3200-3400 RPM seems to ring a bell. At 100 kmh, that J1 would be flat strap on the governor.
I am sure my J3 had a lot lower ratio diff than 4.7 (5.3 rings a bell) .. but it's a long time ago now, and I can't recall the ratio, even though I rebuilt the diff. The J3 was flat strap about 90 kmh.
The lower ratios are common with any of the trucks once you get up to 3 tonne and over. My E series 3 tonne Beddy will do 130 kmh, but that's because the 4.2L Holden is pulling well over 4000 RPM. I've given numerous K-Whoppa drivers a shock, when they were overtaken at hwy cruise speeds, by a Bedford .. one bloke even chased me up the hwy for 20 kms in a car, pulling alongside and trying to see what I had under the cab .. he saw a blue V8 and was probably convinced it was a 454 .. ;D ;D

More
14 years 3 months ago #20586 by kennymopar2
QUOTE.
given numerous K-Whoppa drivers a shock, when they were overtaken at hwy cruise speeds, by a Bedford .. one bloke even chased me up the hwy for 20 kms in a car, pulling alongside and trying to see what I had under the cab .. he saw a blue V8 and was probably convinced it was a 454 .

i always passed a few semis on the hume when i had my old dodge ..i almost had a argument with one dude when i was refuelling .. he was convinced i had a 440 . . . it was just a very fast 318

Time to create page: 0.545 seconds