Skip to main content

Leyland Beaver

More
1 year 1 month ago #244407 by AdrianA
Leyland Beaver was created by AdrianA
Hi All,
I'm after any information I can get on a Leyland Beaver, how can I find out what year it is. Chassis number 702627. Also after a wiring diagram if any one has one.
Appreciate any help thats available

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago #244409 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Leyland Beaver
I have the workshop manual for LAD Beaver, Hippo and Octopus.
No wiring diagrams as such, just circuit diagrams of voltage regulator.

More
1 year 1 month ago #244415 by AdrianA
Replied by AdrianA on topic Leyland Beaver
Hi Jeff, roughly what year truck does the manual cover, I believe mine is late 1960s

More
1 year 1 month ago #244417 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Leyland Beaver
Late 60s would be the LAD cab....this is bullnose non tilt cab with the big curved windscreen .........the mechanicals didnt change much after the hub reduction axles ...there is a lot of variations of the Leyland gearbox ,though.........anyway,I also have the thick black cover manual,and for sure it covers just about everything ...........the wiring was often complex due to having insulated earth return circuits ........of course Pommy 24V was known as 'arcs and sparks'
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 1 month ago #244418 by JOHN.K.
There is an even thicker grey covered manual ,which is more service orientated ,to go with the workshop manual ,and IIRC it has the cab and wiring in it ..........all thse manuals cover much more than just the Beaver ,which is why they are so thick...........however ,these books are works of art ,with marvellous half tone drawings and plans of components...........a big difference to the junk you get for modern vehicles that costs 100s for a collection of workshop bulletins on a disc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
1 year 1 month ago #244423 by AdrianA
Hi John, are you interested in selling the manuals or know where I can get a copy even an electronic version

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #244430 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Leyland Beaver
That chassis number puts it half way through 1967, by which time the ergo cab "freightline range" was in production. LAD cabs continued to be used on some export models nut mainly Albion and hybrids. Photos would help
The Freightline range had manuals in yellow loose leaf folders
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by mammoth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
1 year 1 month ago #244437 by JOHN.K.
Yellow covers and plastic binding are later........I have the Ergomatic Freightline manuals and service book in the same heavy bound book format as the LAD manuals .........I also have somewhere ,all the build sheets for the heavyweights sold to the Cwlth Stores and Transport .....less a couple I gave to people who have the truck for the build sheet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #244441 by AdrianA
Here are some pictures

Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by hayseed. Reason: Inserted pics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mairjimmy, PaulFH, Tacho, wee-allis, xspanrman

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #244443 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Leyland Beaver
Nice Beaver. (as Leslie Nielsen said to Priscilla)
Amazing to still have the one piece windscreen after all these years. As John noted, the diff was a constant but gearbox moved from Leyland to Road Ranger. 680 engine became the 690 when turbocharged. Just to confuse it with the AEC 690!
Early (66 era) Ergo cabs had the instrument binnacle made from plastic. They broke off at the floor and Leyland gave out replacements. Up to the owner to fit it. The replacement was glass filled nylon, much stronger and gave no trouble.
Early models had push/pull instrument etc switches on the binnacle. Later models had the flip lever rocker style.
Early ERGO Beavers had air operated wipers. It was changed to electric. Air was dreadful unless you liked oil dripping on you constantly.
Of course the air assist handbrake was removed and replaced with maxis in early 70’s. I guess any truck this old would now have maxis retrofitted.
Alternator position also moved. Early had the alternator up close to the fan, conventional spot. Later it was moved aft for easier access. Had a long shaft with flexible couplings.
From those photos, you have scored a tidy example.
And John is correct with comment about the early manuals. Lovely work, air brushed pictures for clarity, you just don’t see anything like that these days. My GTR workshop manual cost $550 from Nissan and it’s almost unreadable, such is the rubbish quality.
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by jeffo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH, wee-allis

Time to create page: 0.486 seconds