Skip to main content

Leyland Beaver

More
1 year 1 month ago #244444 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Leyland Beaver
Adrian, What's the Blue thing in the Background of Picture 3..?

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gryphon

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago #244448 by xspanrman
Replied by xspanrman on topic Leyland Beaver
Do you have any details on the previous owners. They certainly looked after the Leyland.

More
1 year 1 month ago #244449 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Leyland Beaver
One of the most obvious changes would be the cab tilt mechanism.
First iterations, 66,67 had over centre latching operated from LHS with a link bar across to the RHS latch.
Then a new rear mount and “U” frame setup was designed. It used a tapered bolt into a hole, one per side. Bolt head was same as wheel nuts.
Presume the “U” frame was in anticipation of the turbo models.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #244451 by Bluey60
Replied by Bluey60 on topic Leyland Beaver
Adrian like Hayseed said we need more pictures not just the blue thing and the other toys like Swishy says give till it hurts

Bluey
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Bluey60.

More
1 year 1 month ago #244452 by AdrianA
Replied by AdrianA on topic Leyland Beaver
Thanks Jeff,

Your on the money, yes park brake has been changed to maxi's, I was wondering why the handbrake handle had been cut off and it had maxi's fitted, mine does have electric wipers and the alternator is at the back of the engine.
Appreciate the feed back

aa
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #244453 by AdrianA
Replied by AdrianA on topic Leyland Beaver
Its a Foden Steam truck, not mine

Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by hayseed. Reason: Ya gotta click on "insert" for ya Pics to appear in your Post..
The following user(s) said Thank You: hayseed, 180wannabe, Inter-Action, Mrsmackpaul, Mairjimmy, PaulFH, wee-allis

More
1 year 1 month ago #244454 by jeffo
Early 70’s by the sound of it so Leyland box or RR? Early 70’s was about the time Leyland realised their box needed design modifications.
The handbrake setup weighed heaps. Linkages, crossmembers, booster etc, even the handbrake lever was about 3’ long.
I grew up on LAD’s and moved to ERGOs when finances permitted. Spent most weekends pulling cylinder heads or gearboxes. ERGOs overheated dreadfully, cracked liners and heads.
Check what injector pump you have, mechanical governor or hydraulic. I’d guess mechanical and if so they are not oil fed from the engine. You have to check and fill the oil periodically.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH, xspanrman

More
1 year 1 month ago #244457 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Leyland Beaver
I think the 600 had the mechanical pump and the 680 had the hydraulic NN governor .......no one could fix the hydraulic pumps,they were so complicated and Leyland sold lots of factory exchange units.......one of the bus operators here could get spares when Leyland Australia couldnt ,and after about 1972 ,no one could get spares,due to strikes at the factories.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
1 year 1 month ago #244459 by jeffo
All our 680’s had the mechanical governor. First hydraulic I saw was on our 690.
If you look up the specs on the mechanical governor, the pedal pressure required at full noise is astounding, so I thought the hydraulic governor was very nice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.543 seconds