Skip to main content

EATON #4 diff , Brake backing plates

More
14 years 1 month ago #25601 by sidey
Gidday to you all , this is going out to anyone that may be able to help me , i have got hold of a #4 eaton 2 speed diff to put in my old Dodge so i can cut down the revs a little for when i get it on the road , ONLY drama is the brake adjusters are frozen ROCK SOLID and no amount of heat or possum piss will get them to move , possibly i can get the red and black shifter out and burn them out but am left with the problem of getting the adjusters on their own .........Would love to hear from someone who could help , with backing plates or the screw adjusters ......

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #25602 by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman
Hi, I think I have an Eaton No.4 missing diff centre, and axles out, that is sitting under my M.A.N 650F. It is the wrong axle for my MAN, so it is just holding it up at the moment until I put a proper M.A.N Trilex axle in & it is still used to roll it but in the unique situation of being a potential parts donor. I want it still to roll. I'm told it's No.4 but I'm no expert and wasn't interested in what it was. You or someone else will soon tell me if it's not a No.4. Maybe it has brakes parts for you. I think I recall one end has the inside covers off but I cannot check until Easter. I never looked at the brakes.
Does this look like a No.4? I am in Sth West Sydney, you are in Whitsundays. Regards, Stephen

Kind Regards

More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #25603 by cemeNTepede
Steven,the diff housing in the MAN looks like it may have been ex Leyland Comet 12/13C.
It used to have a No4 head,no mistake,but it is actually a Moss housing.It once had full air
S cam brakes.I think Sidey may have an air/vac hydraulic axle with screw adjusters in the
backing plate.
It's going to turn ugly if he turns up the heat!

Also Steven, the wheel rim on the RHS at least,is a type unique to Comets.The dish is
"squarish" in profile,for want of a better description.It will fit quite happily onto Albions or
TK/J series Bedfords but the rims from the Albions and Beddys (a flatish,four slot,
Sankey rim) will not seat correctly on the front or inside rear of a Comet.
If it wasn't in Sydney I would rather like that rim myself.

Sidey,the Commer and Bedford guys are the ones who should be able to help you.
The axle you have was common to them both.

R/ ;)

Welcome any info or pictures of 60s Australian AEC Mustangs (Leyland Comet lookalikes)
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by cemeNTepede.

More
14 years 1 month ago #25604 by sidey
Thanks for your help guys , a bloke i know at an engineering firm says he can get the adjusters out for me and i will rob the good ones out of the 38000lb rockwell i have , as they are the same size, bit of a shame but it will get me out of trouble , cheers

Time to create page: 0.445 seconds