Skip to main content

Re: Treasure trove at Charlton Vic

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #114432 by Dodge fan
Just putting it out there for comment. Does anyone think that it might not be appropriate to put pictures up and location of someone's private property without their permission?
This is the sort of thing that could put owners of old equipment off side. If it was my property I wouldn't be too impressed.
Regards Billy 8-)

Playing around at Dodge City
Dodge AT4-760&&FB Holden Ute

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago - 11 years 2 weeks ago #114433 by ray
For what it is worth, a couple of years ago when I was Prez of the HCVC I was contacted by a forum user that owned a lot of tractors. Someone put up pics taken through his fence of his collection and he was upset to the point he threatened legal action for, as he put it "invasion of privacy". Using Google Earth it wasn't hard to locate his property plus he had already had parts stolen from his machines. Eventually he saw reason and dropped the threat but still was not happy. Perhaps in light of this it may be better to get the owners permission to post the pics. That's enough for now as I'm off to Yass!!
Last edit: 11 years 2 weeks ago by ray.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #114434 by bigcam
Billy, there is no mention of an address, apart from the general area (which was the issue in the example Ray gave), and you can see them from the road. I would assume the pictures have been taken from the road, and if that is the case they are in a public place, no different from Google street maps taking street views.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #114435 by Mrsmackpaul
guess it all depends would you be happy if some one took photo's of your own backyard then put them up on the internet for the world to see with out asking the owners permisson . Perhaps it could have been handled better I know it can dagg me off at times people think because I am a farmer its all ok he wont mind we can go fishing there shoot a duck over there he's got plenty of room were not hurting anyone . If it was me I would of just knocked on the door and asked if no answer leave a note work out what I want to look at first then judging by the response I get start to have a rubber neck. That's my 20cents worth maybe I just need toughen up a bit but basic manners are becoming a thing of the past seeya Paul :)

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #114436 by Dodge fan
Didn't want to come across as having a go at someone's good intentions. Lots of forum members are aware of this guys property and goodies. I'm a big one on manners and the last thing I think most of us would want is for the owner to get upset with us old gear enthusiasts and clam up. I'm into old Holden's as well and I know from experience the damage that can be done when a simple enquiry would have been all that is needed to get a farmer on side. I'm certainly not suggesting any of us would do it and have heard stories of people doing midnight raids on properties after details were made public.
I'm aware of google maps and plenty has been said about them invading people's privacy. I wouldn't like to see this forum get a bad name for making details public.
Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread.
Regards Billy 8-)

Playing around at Dodge City
Dodge AT4-760&&FB Holden Ute

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #114437 by Beaver
If you want privacy, you don't put things where people can see them from a public road. Certainly if you want to go in and have a look, you would ask permission, but if I can see something that is publicly visible from a public location I don't see any problems with taking a photo of it from the same spot. This does not appear to be a "someone's backyard" situation.

Details can be made public by means other than the internet. Midnight raids do not necessarily result from public exposure.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #114438 by KB6Dave
Sorry if I've done the wrong thing, I've deleted the pics. I didn't think I was doing such a bad thing and have taken all comments on board.
I wont put pics up again.
Regards,
Dave.

48 KB 6&&Freighter single axle log jinker

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #114439 by Mrsmackpaul

If you want privacy, you don't put things where people can see them from a public road. Certainly if you want to go in and have a look, you would ask permission, but if I can see something that is publicly visible from a public location I don't see any problems with taking a photo of it from the same spot. This does not appear to be a "someone's backyard" situation.

Details can be made public by means other than the internet. Midnight raids do not necessarily result from public exposure.

well it is a farmers backyard and unlike just about any other business his whole business opperation is on display for everyone to see and if you no what to look for his financial situation as well and you never no when is the right time and the wrong thing can be said so easily .KB6 still put pictures up it may just upset some people some time and you can always take them back down I've been pulled into line before dont take it the wrong way because if the forum doesnt tell you you will never Paul :)

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #114440 by ronhorse
Well, Dave, I enjoyed them but then anyone with a KB6 can do no wrong in my book, would have loved some cloeups, ronhorse. 8-)

anything above the reasoning of a mongrel dog is a waste of time

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #114441 by old scrapman
Hi All
Common sense has to take priority if some one dose not want something photographed from public road it is to them to screen items or put out of site .
Would people who complain object if a photo taken from a road posted on a public forum of thieves steeling said valuables or eg transmission from $300,000 tractor thinking it was under repair identified persons responsible because someone looking at forum recognized the thieves.
From the road is fair game with discretion eg nude sun bathers ect :D ;D , rant over.
Peter

Time to create page: 0.927 seconds