Skip to main content

Old photos

More
11 years 3 days ago #115276 by jeffo
Old photos was created by jeffo
At the end of the war my dad worked a mobile workshop, I think they were building a road from Mount Isa to Darwin.
[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

The writing on the back of one photo says "Travelling workshop, Rankine River en route to Brunette Downs".
The line up of their trucks is at Camooweal.
He realised there was an opening for earth moving contractors on those huge stations and decided to have a go.
Built this low loader under the house at Morningside Brisbane using only an oxy.
It was oxy-tack welded together in the photo and then he drove it to Hope's Body Works down the Valley and they welded it up. I think the truck is a Ford.
The trailer brakes were hydraulic, tee'd into the truck hydraulic system, think there would have been a lot of pumping.
The family mortgaged everything, Registered the Western Tank Sinking Company and bought any earth moving gear that was available.
It was 2nd hand worn out gear from years of defence work so he railed it to Cloncurry and set up a workshop to overhaul everything.
Their first job was a 10,000cu. yd. dam at Cowan Downs, 200 odd miles North.
Once established the enquiries for airstrips, windmills, tanks etc came in.
[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

More photos to come.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 days ago #115277 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Re: Old photos
jeffo,
Great find there,just goes to show what you could do back then if you had a will to do it.It also shows what these old trucks look like in their working clothes,not as flash as we are restoring them,no mud guards or mud flaps to fall off,Good one jeffo,got any more.
Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
11 years 3 days ago #115278 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Re: Old photos
Here's some of the gear, tiny by todays standards.
[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

They lived pretty rough, heat was the killer.
Dad said they'd start up in the dark and by breakfast the tractors were boiling. So he set up searchlights and they worked nights instead.
The oil viscosity gauge would drop the needle onto the stop from heat in no time at all.
[IMG

[IMG

Dad got heatstroke and they all suffered from loss of salt.
I can't find a lot of photos, there was one of a plains turkey, would have been 2.5 wingspan,big python, 9 metres long.
They'd bowl over a steer for meat, wild pigs, turkeys.
No fridge and water was always a problem.
Here's the Model A getting water at a bore. They'd throw a shovel of ash on top to settle the clay.
[IMG

Photos were a luxury and it looks like they were only taken when the wives came out for a visit.
Here's Aunty Dulc. ringing up the Cloncurry store with the food order for the postman to bring out on his run.
They'd throw a wire up/over the bush telegraph line and wind away. Everyone listened in.
[IMG

Mum and Aunty Dulc up a windmill. Built them completely on the ground and then pulled them up with the tractor.
[IMG

Some small steel tanks.
[IMG

Think that's it for photos.
One year they parked everything on the highest ground possible and drove the low loader back to Brisy.
Returned after the wet to find it had all gone under, biggest flood in all the local's memory.
Think that was the end for them but they'd made enough for all partners to pay off homes, get regular jobs, start families and that's where I came from.

More
11 years 3 days ago #115279 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: Old photos
Ther's one of those graders at Gatton, saw it today. Same except for steel wheels. In a line-up of machinery near the truck museum/ Lights on the Hill memorial.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

11 years 3 days ago - 11 years 3 days ago #115280 by
Replied by on topic Re: Old photos
...thank you Jeffo for the beautiful photo essay 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)....

...i can't help but love the third photo in reply 2, whereby all are looking quite glum.....even the big puppy dog .....

More
11 years 2 days ago #115281 by jeffo
They'd had a mouse plague, millions of the things, ate everything, hydraulic hoses, battery cables and of course drove everyone crazy.
The old grandad came up with a trap. He'd bury a 4 gallon drum in the soil, add a gallon of water and some lard which would float on top. A piece of stick spanned the open drum.
At night the mice were so hungry they'd fight when crossing the stick, fall in the freezing cold water and drown.
Each trap would catch a few hundred per night.
Dad had the sour face as he'd swung a kick at a rat, missed and kicked a 44 breaking his big toe.
No doctor out there and it shows in that photo.

More
11 years 2 days ago #115282 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Re: Old photos
Great photos as detective said even then the dog has an expression on it face
Feel a bit there was no people of the portly shape and I'm qualified to comment

More
10 years 11 months ago #115283 by jeffo
Dad took up a job as Qld sales manager for Lanz Australia. My sisters and I started school and while Lanz struggled through various changes, (Kelly and Lewis Hastings Deering) Dad looked to buy a cane farm.
He finally found one in Bundaberg and we moved. It was a massive reality shock, hand cutting and loading cane is a killer and there were many times we had to carry him off to the chiropractor Dr. Pro.
We carted the whole stick cane on an Austin Loadstar bought from the repo yard.
[IMG

About this time mills were moving from bagged to bulk sugar and they organised the transport. It was a complete shambles. The Hell Drivers had nothing on this. You had a sugar bin bolted on then and off to the mill where they loaded her up. Round the block to pack it down a bit, push in some more then hell for leather to the Port to unload.
The fastest trucks got more loads in per day and there was some serious racing to get that last load to the Port before closing.
[IMG

There were many accidents, the worst one burnt for days and the mill managers were concerned with the poor public perception of the whole business.
For some reason they contacted Dad. It was way out of his league so he suggested a big Brisbane company might be interested.
W. Quince and Co was approached and they sent up their gun contracts man. But he went over like a lead balloon with the parochial mill managers so a local sand/gravel supplier contracted to cart for Millaquin mill. Quince hit the roof and flew his son up to sort out the situation. He went home with a 5 year contract for Bingera Mill and dad as manager.
[IMG

The first change dad made was averaging of loads. All tonnage was toted up daily and divided by the number of trips, that was what you got payed. Immediately the favouritism from old mate loading the bins ended and once a schedule of daily loads was formed, there was no more racing.
It became a milk run job using owner drivers only and good money was made.
In the slack, most owners went onto tipper or body work but the money earned was nowhere near as good as the sugar.
[IMG

As the mills increased production, we moved to 2-bin and then 3-bin rigs. Wallaville and Childers mills were also contracted to Quince.

[IMG

Wallaville was a particularly old mill, owned by Gibson and Howes (Bingera) and using all their left over gear. It didn

More
10 years 11 months ago #115284 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Old photos
Another great story Jeffo, Quince and Co, there's a name I havn't heard for a long time. They had a huge fleet of red D series Ford tippers. I remember seeing a photo in an old Truck and Bus of them all lined up. They had their yard down at West End near the river I think. What happened to them?

More
10 years 11 months ago #115285 by jeffo
Used to be down Kurilpa St. from memory???
I think they went the same as us all, got old.
Col has been gone at least 10 to 15 years.
He had a son my age but I don't think he went into the family business.

Time to create page: 0.612 seconds