Skip to main content

The First Australian built Western Star.....

More
10 years 11 months ago #117585 by hayseed
If the story here is true(& verifiable) this Old Girl has True Historical significance.....

www.farmmachinerysales.com.au/buy/detail...2&__sid=13E944C080C6

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #117586 by bigcam
I wonder why they call it a 1985 model, must be a typo?
Should be 1983

If it is the first one, this is what it looked like at the Brisbane Truck Show in 1983-

[IMG
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by bigcam.

More
10 years 11 months ago #117587 by steveb
Unlikely,I think the first ones wre 4800s not a 4900,as in the ad. The blue one is a 4800

More
10 years 11 months ago #117588 by bigcam
I read an article in Owner/Driver that says the first one was assembled in March 1983, and the picture is the same truck as the one in my photo.

More
10 years 11 months ago #117589 by fageol100
I seem to remember reading in Truck and Bus that some of the early Western Star trucks sold in Australia had DAF engines. Does anyone else know anymore about this? Weren't there Pawnee and Cheyenne models, or did that refer to different levels of cab trim?

More
10 years 11 months ago #117590 by steveb
Pozzolanic out of Brisbane had Western Stars with Daf engines pulling flyash from the powerstations back to Brisbane in the mid 1980s.Used to have tea at Togoolawah at the same servo as they used

More
10 years 11 months ago #117591 by aussie l plate
Bunny Brown from Adelong had a couple of Western Stars with DAF engines as well

More
10 years 11 months ago #117592 by jeffo
Did some extensions and new buildings at the Brisbane assembly line back in the early days.
Noticed he was the DAF importer then.

More
10 years 11 months ago #117593 by Ozfury

Pozzolanic out of Brisbane had Western Stars with Daf engines pulling flyash from the powerstations back to Brisbane in the mid 1980s.Used to have tea at Togoolawah at the same servo as they used

Didn't the owner of Pozzolanic own Western Star? I can also recall a Star being built with a Rolls Royce diesel as a fuel truck in the very early days.

More
10 years 11 months ago #117594 by fageol100

Didn't the owner of Pozzolanic own Western Star? I can also recall a Star being built with a Rolls Royce diesel as a fuel truck in the very early days.

Ozfury, I'm not sure about Western Stars with Rolls Royce diesels, but I remember seeing an ad featuring a White Road Boss belonging to a fuel company with a RR diesel engine.

Time to create page: 0.455 seconds