Skip to main content

anybody know what happened to Peterbilt 16109?

More
10 years 11 months ago #117831 by bparo
I have a part from Peterbilt serial number 16109. It was a cabover 352.
I sold some parts last year for someone else who's health is failing. I reused some of the boxes to move my stuff. On flattening a box I found something that belongs to this truck that had hidden itself under the cardboard flaps.
It got me wondering whether this old girl still exists or whether it came back as a Toyota and again as a Great Wall. Does anybody know?

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #117832 by
g'day bparo .. go to reply 83 on page 5 of the ''Peterbilts then and now'' thread on general truck chat (page 2)....it gives a short history of the truck (16109) and its working life to date....

...any clues to the mystery discovery? :-? :-? :-?......cheers mate

More
10 years 11 months ago #117833 by bparo
Something that may raise more questions than it answers. A brass plate almost identical to the one in the post you mentioned. The model, serial no and gross are the same but the chassis wt the one I have says 12000lbs while the picture in the other post says 13500lbs. Otherwise the plates are identical.

So why 2 plates with different chassis weights?

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #117834 by
...bparo .. with the gross chassis weight showing 49,000 lbs, it can only be assumed that a duplicate plate may have been ordered a little later in this trucks' life, with the chassis tare weight being guessed...as these tare weights were struck after road testing in the USA, with the unit in hand finally put over the weighbridge prior to shipment....

....the 13,500 tare sounds about right as this truck was a ''352 ST'' with full steel chassis construction, whereas the 12,000 lb chassis would be more like an ''A''....all aluminium (hence lighter) construction........otherwise this is an interesting mystery to solve...

BTW .. was it John Rae the gentleman you were assisting?...he was an early owner from about 1973-4......thanks and cheers

....late edit..late edit ::) ::) :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

...i've completely messed up, confusing ch/no 16109 with 16069 :-[ :-[ :-[ :'( :'( :'( ;D ;D

.....excuse my bad and will tell all shortly....

10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #117835 by
....righto, i've got it all together now (for the moment ;D ;D)....

...go to reply one on this topic and do the same as earlier.... but start from reply 34 for 16109's brief history.....cheers fellas

More
10 years 11 months ago #117836 by Mrsmackpaul
could it be perhaps that the truck was changed after it got here to get a sale perhaps after a sale fell threw and the next customer didn't want something eg light arse end some type of gearbox ect and was modifed and replated after mods just thinking out aloud
Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #117837 by
...it's all fixed up mrsmack .. i goofed on the chassis number and threw up a whole heap of wrong details.... ::) ::)

....sorry 'bout that.....

Time to create page: 0.417 seconds