Skip to main content

Kang-- bloody---roos

More
10 years 10 months ago #119410 by oldfulla
Replied by oldfulla on topic Re: Kang-- bloody---roos
Shoo-Roos. I had one (the electronic version) sold under the Sho-Roo name.

I thought it worked very well. The story is - that roos cant hear a motor vehicle - so by the time they realise one is approaching - the get a fright and behave accordingly - all the while blinded by the head light beam. And roos that are used to seeing cars (EG ones who have lived by the road for some time) get used to vehicles - and try to stand clear - providing they know you are there.

With the Shoo-Roo - they hear its noise from probably a klm away - it attracts their attention - they have a look around - just another car - gives them time to adjust ot he lights, and they move out of the road. The experienced ones - dont take flight - just move clear and keep eating.

With good lights one can see this hapen in the distance - as you can see them stand up and have a look. That movement lets you know it/they are there - so you have ample time to slow down.

Usually the one you hit is the one you didnt see early enough - so this device serves to make them move hence letting you see the movement - and react. But that only works if you have enough light power to see far enough ahead. So I think it is the comdination of both good lighting and the Shoo-Roo that make it work.

In the late half of the 1990's I drove the same road many times - and there were 2 big roos (separate places) that could be found in the same place week after week. They were both 'road smart' to the extent - I actually stopped beside both of them. A case of - they knew I was coming - moved far enough off the road to be safe - then just went on doing what they do - feeding off the green pick in the table drain.

In 5 years and 1,000's of roos - I only hit 1. And that was from a mod of about 30 that had never seen a car in their life. But again - they sensed something was happening - all moved (drawing my attention) - I backed off - 29 stopped and 1 kept hopping - eventually saw the danger - slowed up - and hit head first into the back wheel. I suspect it was deaf!!!

All in all - yes i would have one again if the need arose. But only with good lighting and still slowing once one has been seen. And as I say - I think the key is to be able to see them first - and then drive accordingly. IE: to be used as a tool not a roo bar.

Oldfulla

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #119411 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Kang-- bloody---roos
I think Greyhound used them on the buses that went west.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.424 seconds