Skip to main content

IH 392 V8 - 5 speed main plus 3 speed joey

More
10 years 8 months ago #125039 by Bugly
Can anybody remember the full sequence to use all 15 gears in the 392 V8 Internationals with the five speed box and the three speed joey? I remember that down low it was all round the place, and 14 and 15 were fifth medium then fifth high. 12 may have been fifth low and 13 may have been fourth high. :)

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #125040 by BRS FH66
Is this the V8 Cummins powered ACCO Inter you are talking about?

More
10 years 8 months ago #125041 by Bugly

Is this the V8 Cummins powered ACCO Inter you are talking about?

Nope - this be the petrol-hungry International engine fitted to early Inters and ACCOs. Probably also fitted to butterboxes and long-bonnets.

I had a stooge around and came across this old post ... interesting!! www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1247906790

More
10 years 8 months ago #125042 by oldfulla
Bugly

Many will argue that it wasnt possible to get 15 progressive changes out of those 5x3 combos. But it was - although a couple wernt worth the effort - so 13 was easier and probably the best.

Most drovers only used 10 - just spliting each one in order - using the D to OD in the joey box. And some didnt ever work out what the 2nd stick was even for!!!

Anyway - here is the full 15:

1st UD = 1
2nd UD = 2
1st D = 3
1st OD = 4
3rd UD = 5
2nd D = 6
2nd OD = 7
4th UD = 8
3rd D = 9
5th UD = 10
3rd OD = 11
4th D = 12
4th OD = 13
5th D = 14
5th OD = 15

Shifts 5 & 8 didnt do much. And 3rd D to 5th UD was messy but filled the big gap that there was between 3nd & 4th in the main box.

Oldfulla

More
10 years 8 months ago #125043 by Bugly
Hey thanks Oldfulla!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I've just been sitting in front of the computer screen with two imaginery sticks, and going through the motions! Yep, that's it alright. And you are correct, all 15 were there able to be used.

The truck I drove in 1982/83 was a Pioneer agitator truck (truck number 002) on the Curragh minesite construction out of Blackwater in Queensland. The guy who drove it before me explained that you used 5 gears in underdrive to go out on site with a load (took a long time to get there though), 5 gears in direct to come back to the batch plant, and 5 gears in overdrive when the truck went into Blackwater for repairs. ;D ;D

More
10 years 8 months ago #125044 by oldfulla
Bugley

If you drove an ACCO A Series (first tilt cab) - they had a bloody terrible joey box stick set up - p$%k in a shirt sleeve stuff.

The older short and long door C models were pretty good - sticks fairly close together, easy to reach, and pretty short posative shift arrangment. Except for the 1900 series (V185 Cummins) which had the Joey lever fitted between the drivers seat and the door. Where the hand brake usually was. The sow 'run down' with the cummins slowed changes down a bit too.

The old C Series with a Perkins was a pretty good combo. the A Series 6 cly Neuess was a bit slow to respond too - making it harder to get all 15 shifts.

Your instructer fits one of the types I mentioned!! Having said that - going 1st to 5th in Under Drive actually gave a fairly progressive set of ratios - but didnt let you cover much ground.

Oldfulla

More
10 years 8 months ago #125045 by Bugly

Bugley

If you drove an ACCO A Series (first tilt cab) - they had a bloody terrible joey box stick set up - p$%k in a shirt sleeve stuff.

Yep, and yep. It was an A-series ('1910A' if I remember right) and it was definitely a challenge to make the compound changes, with the right arm through the steering wheel and all that!! ;D The truck ended up breaking down that often Pioneer got pi$$ed off and lifted the bowl. The truck ended up in Gladstone as a water cart I think.

More
10 years 8 months ago #125046 by mikeg
Here's my old C1800 with 5x3 and a Perkins. As oldfulla said it wasn't a bad combination but slow especially with a full can on the back.

More
10 years 8 months ago #125047 by oldfulla
Mikeg

But i bet you never found a hill that stopped her!! Either going forward or backwards.

Oldfulla

More
10 years 8 months ago #125048 by mikeg
Your right there Oldfulla, I don't remember a hill that could stop her. Even with much less HP than the other trucks in the yard, all Loadstars with 345s or 392s, I could go where they just couldn't get to. It was much better off the bitumen than the Loadstars especially backing down on very steep sites when they would often rear up and sit on their drawbars. As a result I used to get pissed off no end as I was usually given the difficult steep sites.

Even though the Loadstars were faster and would sometimes round me up I was always ahead at the end of the week when it came time to pay the fuel bill.

Time to create page: 0.576 seconds