Skip to main content

Kenworth SAR Driveline questions.

More
10 years 4 months ago #133244 by sar83
Hi, It's Don here from Perth. l have been hauling Limestone around WA this last year with my Mercedes Actross after a few years carting cars and it is time for a new (old truck).
l have been offered a Kenworth SAR 1983 and as l have always liked older trucks, l thought l might build it up as my second truck. It is currently powered by a Detroit Series 60 DDEEC 3 running through an 18 speed Road Ranger.
l want to put an Alison World Series auto in place of the Road Ranger. Has anyone any experience with this drive train combo? Will the Detroit ECU talk to the Alison Transmission and will the Jake Brake work in with the trans? l will have a gross weight of around 50 tons.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Don.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #133245 by bongobob mc licence
yer buddy ide forget tha allison with tha auto smartshift on offer at tha moment thats taylor made for such an engine n its managment allisons are a thing of tha past bloke coverd in cobwebs in tha corner tha 18speed fuller auto shift is all tha go now greatest thing since sliced bread n caned beer OVER!!!!! ;)

More
10 years 4 months ago #133246 by bongobob mc licence
yer buddy ide forget tha allison with tha auto smartshift on offer at tha moment thats taylor made for such an engine n its managment allisons are a thing of tha past bloke coverd in cobwebs in tha corner tha 18speed fuller auto shift is all tha go now greatest thing since sliced bread n caned beer OVER!!!!! ;)

More
10 years 4 months ago #133247 by sar83
Thanks for your advice, l shall look into Fuller autoshift. Don

More
10 years 4 months ago #133248 by hayseed

l want to put an Alison World Series auto in place of the Road Ranger.

Don, Not trying to be a Smartass...

BUT,

What's your reasoning for wanting to do this??? :-/ :-/

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
10 years 4 months ago #133249 by geoffb
Drove one of those 18 speed auto shift things my thoughts bloody horrible

More
10 years 4 months ago #133250 by atkipete
I went for a ride in a truck the other day with the latest version ( 2 pedal ultrashift ) and quite impressed. I wasnt driving but it didnt seem to put a foot wrong, skip shifting and very quick.
Understand the previous version ( 3 pedal autoshift ) had some issues.

More
10 years 4 months ago #133251 by werkhorse

Drove one of those 18 speed auto shift things my thoughts bloody horrible

There are heaps of different settings for both the engine and gearbox when it comes to these setups ... A lot depends on how it's set ... But I have generally found that more hp seems to be a better combo. Sometimes the powers hp engines can't keep the power up when pulling ... They seem to cut back in just as the engine hits the wrong part of the rev band.

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
10 years 4 months ago #133252 by bongobob mc licence
well i dont know wat yas are all going on about all i can say is any body who prefers to change gear has only bin drivin bangers 4, 5 minits , bloody hell who wants to change gears ,,concentration fateage ect ect n when set corretly they respond spot on n with absalutey no loss of hp also eliminate driver error resulting in driveline damage n clutch life can produce max fuel economy , so all hail fuller auto shift a total god send n not before time aswell
:D ;D ;) :)

10 years 4 months ago #133253 by
Gotta agree with AtkiPete.
Autoshift isn't great but Ultrashift is a good product.
It's a pity the Euro autos are an even better option...
Yes we run all three but my moneys on the Eurautos.... 8-) 8-)

Time to create page: 0.552 seconds