Skip to main content

Diamond T

More
9 years 4 months ago #151946 by DeeCee
Diamond T was created by DeeCee
I have this old Diamond T which I would like to know more about. Can't provide much detail other than it has a Hercules 6 cyl diesel.
From comparing it with pics of other DTs I'm guessing it's about early 1940s. Military perhaps?

[IMG

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #151947 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Re: Diamond T
This is one of the best looking trucks of WW2. They came in both hardtop (Model 980) like yours and canvas roof cab (Model 981).

I am sure Sam will be on to this thread very soon with more info (he owns a wrecker). In the meantime if you just Google Diamond T Tank Transporter there is a world of photos and info. Armies around the world, including Australia, still used them up to the 1980's. Fast they were not.

Lang
[IMG

Video

And here are 4 roughies still doing a job in UK

Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Lang.

More
9 years 4 months ago #151948 by DeeCee
Replied by DeeCee on topic Re: Diamond T
Thanks for the info and links. Seems these were very useful army heavy movers. Ours is fitted with a crane and was used in the timber industry hauling logs out of the scrub. It was driven into its current resting place but hasn't been fired up for many years.

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #151949 by kw573
Replied by kw573 on topic Re: Diamond T
Hi DeeCee,

Hi Lang,

Yes, you have a WW2 Diamond T 980 there.
Usually used with the 40 ton Rodgers trailer to transport tanks and other heavy equipment.
Originally fitted with a ballast body, a plain square box made of 1/4"(I think) plate.
Indeed, maximum speed is around 25mph, 40kph.
Behind the cab was a large winch, Garwood, I think, with 3/4" cable that fed out the back under the body and to a set of fairleads on the back of the chassis. The 981 model had the winch cable fed through fairleads out the front bumper as well.
Although US made, they were mainly for the Commonwealth nations. Hence the diesel engine. The yanks used almost all petrol!
The winch and bodies turn up very rarely.
I'm sure people would be interested in seeing what you do with this fine old lady.
Roughly, where are you?

I have the smaller 4 ton 6x6 wrecker version (THE best looking truck of WW2) and did own a 980 briefly about 10 years ago.

Have a nice day.
Sam.

WW2 Jeep (Daily Driver)
Diamond T 969 (Under restoration)
Kenworth 573 (Yard truck)
WW2 Water trailer
WW2 Blitz 3 ton GS dog trailer
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by kw573.

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #151950 by kw573
Replied by kw573 on topic Re: Diamond T
Opps.

I think I can see the original winch control levers at the back of the cab. If that is the original winch, that is fortunate!

The picture Lang posted shows the Rogers trailer.

Sam.

WW2 Jeep (Daily Driver)
Diamond T 969 (Under restoration)
Kenworth 573 (Yard truck)
WW2 Water trailer
WW2 Blitz 3 ton GS dog trailer
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by kw573.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
9 years 4 months ago #151951 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Diamond T
FWIW

RE: Rogers Trailer

During WWII Rogers built seventy 45-ton tank retriever trailers a week for the armed forces.

We stihl run the rogers wheels n suspensions
the wheel hub n brake drum were cast as one item
we run soft linings & never had to replace a brake drum etc
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #151952 by DeeCee
Sam,
Thanks for all that info - very useful.
The truck is located at Herberton in Far North Qld. I am the curator of the Historic Village there and we have dozens of old trucks. We have arranged them so visitors can see them and I have been writing brief signboards for each one. Hence, my requests for information.
The Village website is
www.historicvillageherberton.com.au
if you want a look.
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by DeeCee.

More
9 years 4 months ago #151953 by Lang
Dc

I met you a couple of months back when I came through with the 1942 Dodge Carryall on the Prostate Cancer trip. Had a look at your truck collection briefly. I am taking 10 year old grandson on an adventure to Cairns and out to the Lava Tubes, Chillagoe and Cooktown and want to bring him to the Herberton Historic Village this coming weekend. If you are around I would like to say hello.

Lang

More
9 years 4 months ago #151954 by DeeCee
Lang,
Yes I remember your visit to the Village. You had a blue Dodge on a trailer too, I recall.
I can be there at the weekend, although Saturday is a Cairns Restored Car Club meeting at Hot Springs so I may go to that. Sunday seems OK.

More
9 years 4 months ago #151955 by Lang
Yes that is right, we had the 1924 Dodge ute as well. I will keep in touch on our movements.

Lang

Time to create page: 0.680 seconds