Skip to main content

Bus ID please??

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #156065 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Re: Bus ID please??
This didn't take long:

www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php...232&p=948548#p948548

Now, once you've finished with Clarrie and Dennis....... 8-)

Beaver@ Museum of Fire
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Beaver.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #156066 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: Bus ID please??
Thanks Beaver, pretty amazing speed!! ;) Looks quite nice in it's original livery!!

Tried to move it today, but the rear brakes are frozen to the drums. I'm picking it's been parked the last decade or so with the brakes on, although a quick peep underneath only shows hydraulic lines to the rear without a brake cable. Maybe it's one of those drive-shaft handbrakes.

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
9 years 1 month ago #156067 by olddon
Replied by olddon on topic Re: Bus ID please??
I seem to remember that Inter's of around that time did have a handbrake bolted behind the gearbox.But IDSTBC

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #156068 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Re: Bus ID please??
Speaking of identifying older buses, on the Western Highway (Vic.) at Buangor quite a few years ago, the bloke who had the original servo come wrecking yard, had several ex-S.A. Govt buses in his yard. One I do remember was a very short wheelbase AEC, something had cannoned into the side of it. I asked the bloke who had the yard at the time about it, he told me that someone or other had bought it from a govt auction with the idea of converting it into a mobile home. Maybe someone can confirm this, but it was apparently built to an 8'6" wide configuration and could not be registered in the Eastern states? Pity, because even with the side panels damaged, would have made a great little camper. Someone else told me later that it had been bought and placed on a block as a temporary home just a few miles north in Central Vic.

Perhaps a few of you bus men can confirm that S.A. was the only state that allowed the 8'6" width? Although I had heard that N.T. allowed them also, seemed to follow some S.A. practices? Seems that early days, N.T. were quite liberal in what was accepted, maybe that's why you used to see so many L.H. drive trucks (and cars) registered? Or was that simply because there were quite a few U.S. personell stationed there who bought there own gear in?

Dave 64

9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #156069 by
Replied by on topic Re: Bus ID please??
Hi Dave .. that fella was Trevor Oliver who had the towing business there, and he now does a lot of crop dusting in and around Victoria and sometimes based at Bacchus Marsh Airfield...

...all the MMTB Pommie Govt buses in Victoria were got rid of by the early 1980's, and were buggered for being able to be registered again to private operators beyond their sale...

...Ansair in Tullamarine answered the call when i was working there at the time....they literally took the sides off 'em...took the "pregnant" look out of their girth and made straight sides out of 3"x 2" box steel...all conforming to the maximum width these private blokes were then allowed 8-) 8-)...

...a lot were resold on to local bus operations and did years more service with them, but I would think there would be very few left now of any worth to anyone with their very low floor height and big long overhangs...??

Time to create page: 0.377 seconds