Skip to main content

Old photos!!

More
8 years 11 months ago #158639 by Birt48
Replied by Birt48 on topic Re: Old photos!!
OK Paul, here it is. The photo was taken by my Aunty probably around 1960.
From the left with the welding gear is Bill Blake, standing in the crate with the footy jumper is Ray Weygood (the crate was being built to go on his truck.) Also in the crate is Jack Gash had the rivet gun and my uncle is at the right on the ground.
[IMG

The following photo was on the Nullabor Plain in May 1962. I was lucky enough to travel over and back to West Australia with my uncle & aunty. As you could imagine, it was a very different trip then as to what it is now and I can comment from experience. I drove over and back in 1987 for the Americas Cup and then rode my motorcycle over and back in 2012.
Anyway, enough of the rambling. As I remember, the truck was a Federal and I think the trailer was a strap type.
I reckon I saw the remains of the truck when I went over in 1987. I haven't any other info about what happened as it was in the middle of nowhere.
[IMG

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #158640 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: Old photos!!
Theres a lot more work in building a crate then most people think it would have taken the boys a few weeks I would think to build the crate maybe a lot longer most likely didnt have a drop saw or angle grinder
and it would have all been built out side in the sun makes welding a lot harder
Its always good to reminded ourselves how easy we have it now

thanks for sharing

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 years 11 months ago #158641 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Re: Old photos!!
I notice the photo of the Knocker NOK 914 hasn't got the two intake stacks

More
8 years 11 months ago #158642 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Re: Old photos!!
That old Commer was pretty new when bought from the Repo yard and she'd already had a jack-knife to the right side of the cab. (note the door margins)
Power steer and air brakes, but a lot of years passed before Rootes added external air cleaners to their trucks.
The first model had stubby intake pipes, only about a foot high then a bit later they raised them to roof line.
Still only oil bath cleaners but at least the engine wasn't eating dust kicked up by the left front wheel.
Indicators were a continual drama. Our first trucks had a 3-pin 240v plug for the wiring (no indicators) then Main Roads wanted indicators so we had two 3-pin plugs. Nobody had heard of Utilux plugs back then.
They wanted the mechanical hand as well as indicators. One day the mechanical hands all fell off and never went back.
That old Commer also pulled the wide spread trailer grossing 28t.
Generator couldn't supply enough power to feed the side lights.
How times have changed, as kids we'd do the (floor mounted) dip switch for dad at night.
Learned distances, anticipating other trucks from their roof lights, watching the road for dark patches which meant a bump and so on.
Today's kids are strapped in watching DVD's and learning to drive via their X-box.

More
8 years 11 months ago #158643 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic Re: Old photos!!
Thanks for posting the great pics and stories you blokes.
Keep finding them, please!
Funny how you mention the lack of mirrors and indicators. I've got an FX Holden Ute, it's had indicators fitted, but they are pretty ..dull..
It's kind of refreshing to drive though, with no seat belts, one tiny tail and brake light, a pissy useless mirror, steel dash and a steering wheel that would brain you if you hit it with your head!
It just means that you have to THINK when you drive it, proper head checks, assume everyone is going to ram you, and if you crash, you will die, or worse!
So you have to drive accordingly.
I know safety is good and all that, but you blokes are right, the more we put people inside a fluffy airbagged seatbelted cushion, the less they have to think, the stupider (?) they become, in my opinion. And one day we have created a generation who CAN'T think...
Hmmm..
Anyway, ripper pics, keep em up!
cheers
Richard

More
8 years 11 months ago #158644 by olddon
Replied by olddon on topic Re: Old photos!!
Prodrive old mate,regarding your last paragraph,I sometimes think that we have already reached that point,if any of my grandkids are anything to go by !!!!! cheers

8 years 11 months ago #158645 by
Replied by on topic Re: Old photos!!
Hi Birt48
I saw your photo of the Semi wreck taken on the Nullabour in 1962 and I'm sure the following photos are of the same incident.
The first 3 are of whats left of the prime mover and are situated about half way between the old Ivy Tanks Roadhouse and the current Nullabour Roadhouse. The wreck is about 50 metres off the southern side of the Old Eyre Hwy.
The last 3 are of a trailer that appears to have had a very heavy landing.
The trailer or parts there of are in the "graveyard" behind the ruins of the old Ivy Tanks roadhouse.
I took my photos in Oct 2014 when I passed that way over to Perth...............I was going to post them on WotZit section of Challenges and Quizzes but I think you have answered my questions.
I have driven acros the Nullabour at least 15 times. The first in Xmas 66. The last time I was on gravel was April/May 1971. I still prefer the adventure of the Gravel, thats the reason I did the last trip or as much as I could on the old road.
I did start a Topic called Nullabour Adventures on the forum before I left and it had quit a few hits.
Thanks for your posts.
Darryl

More
8 years 11 months ago #158646 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Re: Old photos!!
That looks like has had some heat in it ???

More
8 years 11 months ago #158647 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic Re: Old photos!!
Enjoying the photos and stories Birt. Some of the livestock carriers kept their trucks very neat and clean. Check out the post on Hovey's transport at Moriac near Geelong a few months back. Small carriers in the country districts had little in the way of washing equipment available now and often a shortage of water. Some backed stock trailers into a river for a tub out - not on these days. Good if you got to a large saleyards like Dandenong to use the pressure hose for a few two bob coins.
Interesting thing about stock crates - often travel easier loaded than empty as the wind drag on all the pipe sections when empty was noticeable, especially with a cross wind. The newer style of crate with enclosed sides fare better.
Great to pull into a roadhouse and hear a yell to " get that f...... sh.. carter out of here. Can still smell those pongs.
Keep up the photos and yarns, Paul.

More
8 years 11 months ago #158648 by stevejr
Replied by stevejr on topic Re: Old photos!!
Old McGrath? By the hubs

Mack R600 1975&&Dodge D5N 400&&Fe 35 1958&&Tea 20 1951 &&Tea 20 1952

Time to create page: 0.513 seconds