Skip to main content

Old photos!!

More
8 years 11 months ago #158649 by olddon
Replied by olddon on topic Re: Old photos!!
PaulFH .Have you ever pulled up at a roadhouse with a load of "stinkers" on ? You were lucky that you didn't starve to death before you unloaded them ! Cheers Don ;D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #158650 by Birt48
Replied by Birt48 on topic Re: Old photos!!
I reckon you are right Dazza. Certainly looks like the remains of the old the truck and trailer.
Olddon, I have unhappy memories of carting what you call "stinkers" and I refer to as "shit bags"
I can remember backing up to a race/yards where dairy cows have been penned up for half a day and when you pushed them up onto the trailer, the first thing they did was let it all go. :-/ :-/ :-/ ;D

More
8 years 11 months ago #158651 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic Re: Old photos!!
Yes Olddon and Birt, some of the old roadhouses like the former Shell Wyalong well out of town and big area to pull in away from the general freight blokes. Nothing worse than listening to cattle rattling a crate or smelling stock when trying to sleep. Pigs stink and squeal, cattle rattle and pong and sheep smell and hang limbs out for all to see.
Funny job but has to be done. Some small farms had to reverse in from road to loading race or woolshed to load. Dare not bump some races as they were flimsy. Often had to use our own portable races carried on the sides of the crate, as shown on the post on Hovey's Transport.
Entry to Caramut sheep saleyards right on the high side of a bend, as you drove down through the gate had to watch leading corner of the trailer didn't come down on top of the gatepost. As trucks became larger access to these places is better and many smaller saleyards closed, making more work for the carriers.
Watched "The Bear" nearly push a race over at Mortlake sheep saleyards, tandem drive Leyland and spread trailer. Drove past the race, reversed the driver's side back corner of the trailer into the race then pushed the trailer around until square on. Left a spoon drain for all to bounce through and almost ripped the tyres off the leading trailer axle. Just wish I had a camera back then as a variety of gear on the job. Even how drivers parked waiting for their loads, real jigsaw to get your rig out onto a race to load. Dogs fighting during the sales - one of ours used to snarl at another dog until a blue started then sit under the truck and watch the fun. Dogs, dust, farmers and drivers trying to get their own dog out of all that. Fun memories so good luck all, Paul.

More
8 years 11 months ago #158652 by Birt48
I have found another two old photos that are from the 1960's and were taken at Morundah in Central NSW.
I don't know what type of truck it was and I can't read the name on the radiator because some fat little bugger has his legs in the way. The second photo was of the interior. Can anyone help with info on what it might be?
[IMG

[IMG

The next photos were taken at the Silverton Hotel out from Broken Hill. An old Ford and an International being used as stage props. A bit of a shame in some ways as they look like there is plenty there to be used in a couple of restos.
[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 11 months ago #158653 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Old photos!!
Tilling StevenS

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
8 years 11 months ago #158654 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: Old photos!!
Birt as Swishy says I was looking for a photo when he beat me to it AH the quick or the slow north Queenslander

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 years 11 months ago #158655 by Birt48
Thanks Swishy. I had the magnifying glass out and could read the "ling steven" Can you tell me anything more about them? Were they steam or petrol powered?

More
8 years 11 months ago #158656 by Birt48
Thanks Paul, you may have the info I was looking for.

More
8 years 11 months ago #158657 by John D
Replied by John D on topic Re: Old photos!!
Tilling Stevens made both conventional drive trucks and were also makers of petrol motor electric drive chassises that were used for buses and search light trucks during the war.Very popular with show people for powering their electric driven side show rides.

More
8 years 11 months ago #158658 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Re: Old photos!!
This one below is petrol engine driving a generator and then a electric motor no gearbox

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1413485191
Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

Time to create page: 0.535 seconds