Skip to main content

Early Diamond T's

More
8 years 4 months ago #166199 by wedgetail84
Replied by wedgetail84 on topic Early Diamond T's
our cat 12 grader has a wet clutch (multi disc) - would the bell housing not be specific to this type? Although it is a later 17K with 3306, maybe the earlier models had a different trans etc.?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #166219 by Tacho
Replied by Tacho on topic Early Diamond T's
Here's the WW2 Diamond T up for auction at the Cowell clearing sale that Phil referred to.

[IMG

More
8 years 4 months ago #166220 by defective
Replied by defective on topic Early Diamond T's
Thanks Geoff .. I reckon that sale will be a good one...lots of all kinds of farm and restorer things.

Cheers and Happy New Year Mate

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 4 months ago #166222 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Early Diamond T's
Jeeeze

dun sho ReX th@ Diamond T
He B all over it like a rash az a replacement fir them thar 'V' busses

n then have hiz 'V'Busses Q'd up @ the wharf waiting for the chineze boat

LOL :lol:

they dun make m like they use 2

LOL

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #166224 by defective
...At least she'll have cruise control Swishy .. set the hand throttle...straight into direct...and sail off into the sunset at 26 MPH !! :P :P :P
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by defective.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 4 months ago #166225 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Early Diamond T's
U big Hoon Defective

your Beideman truck duz 28MPH Y/N

LOL

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #166226 by defective
...She got the overdrive 'box Swish...good for about 4 or 5 MPH in the old book... LOL

...The story from Ian Nadenbausch (R.I.P.) was when the two were eventually offered for sale by Walter Wright, the direct Beiderman did 28 mph, whereas the other one with the overdrive did 32...

He jumped at the overdrive and John Maher from Bundoora got the direct banger. One of Mahers' drivers was pulled over by the cops one day on the South Eastern Freeway in the early 1970's doing what he thought was about the 28 MPH...

...The copper jumps up to find there's no one where he should be in the drivers' seat ..(LHD)...the fella explains there's a dispensation and permit for heavy haul vehicles operating LHD...

...The copper states..."do you know how fast you were travelling ?"....response from driver..."aaaww..about 28 MPH... copper says "27 mph mate...GET THE BLOODY THING OFF THE FREEWAY !"
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by defective.

More
8 years 4 months ago #166229 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Early Diamond T's
Hi Men.
Thanks for the informative posts! Loved that early caterpillar blurb about the early sixes, made good reading.

That's what i like about these forums, always someone who will go to the trouble to amend or correct some previous posts

Cheers, Dave

More
8 years 4 months ago #166231 by Dave_64
Just a quick one on early Caterpillar power in Petes, must have been around that era that Jack Seaton was running cab over Kenworths on the Syd-Melb shuttle??

Remember following them down the road, a few trailers had the board nailed to the rear of the trailer, just below the coaming line, "SEATONS-Powered by Caterpillar"

One of their drivers told me the secret to their longevity was that they never let them get cold, mostly quick hitch stuff with fresh drivers. Maybe also why Ansett got such a good run out of those old Jupiters with the V motor "Harley Davidsons"??

Dave

More
8 years 4 months ago #166248 by Dave_64
................... I thought that the 3306 engine would have been a lot later?? The 1673 and 1674's were prior to them (IDSTBC).
As far as the wet clutch housing with multiple disc, maybe they ran a removavle adapter plate like so many other manufacturers did? Wouldn't have been impossible to then bolt any type of bellhousing to it?

What size diameter flywheel would the SAE 2/3 be able to handle? I am guessing anything from about 11" up to and including14"???

Time to create page: 0.529 seconds