Skip to main content

Turbocharger problem

More
6 years 11 months ago #183792 by Ian B
Turbocharger problem was created by Ian B
The turbo in my ex-Aboods Transport Thornycroft has given up the ghost. It is a Schwitzer model 4LE-354, Part No 10945184. It seems this turbo was used in a number of military vehicles with multi fuel engines, and on the Mack ENDT675 engine.
Any idea where I might locate one, or a repair kit?
Ian

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #183796 by dno
Replied by dno on topic Turbocharger problem
You could try MTQ.
www.mtqes.com.au/

There got branches and service centres nation wide.
www.mtqes.com.au/contact/network

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com

More
6 years 10 months ago #183829 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Turbocharger problem
You could ask the same question here hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/

These guys are closer to where Thorny's came from and know their stuff.

More
6 years 10 months ago #183962 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Turbocharger problem
The setup in this Thorny is an Aboods special. Gardner would not have a bar of turbo charging their engines and it was only years later when they were going out the door backwards that turbos were finally fitted.

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #183963 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Turbocharger problem
Try Gleemans, they're Big Sellers/Dealers of Mack aftermarket Parts..

www.gleeman.com.au/

There's a fair chanch that's where Cedric or Brain Abood bought it in the first place...

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by hayseed. Reason: spelling

More
6 years 10 months ago #183979 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Turbocharger problem
Mammoth,
"Gardner would not have a bar of turbo charging their engines and it was only years later when they were going out the door backwards that turbos were finally fitted".
That's interesting. I have an old "Modern Diesel Engines": circa late 50's early 60's and it shows in the Marine section a SUPERCHARGED 6LX (or LW), note NOT TURBOCHARGED.
Could always have been a retrofit by the trawler owner or whoever.
Wonder why they were so dead set against it when both the Europeans as well as the Brits had been tooling around with both modes since the thirties? I'm sure I read that in the book quoted above, both Leyland and Sulzer, especially Leyland force charging a converted petrol to diesel engine, but I digress.
They (Gardner) really missed the boat with that one, methinks. Just about every second diesel engine these days, both large and small seems to be force inducted.
Dave

More
6 years 10 months ago #183988 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Turbocharger problem
Dont confuse the British Gardner with the Dutch one.The Kromhout Gardner was regularly supercharged .If you read the Gardner story,you will find that the chief engineer was one of the family,and getting on in years.The chairman was over 70.Their biggest stroke of luck was selling out to Hawker Siddely for much money.Who sold out to Perkins for a lot less money.So the family fortune was maintained,but appears to have run out recently,when the spares operation was put into liquidation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #184023 by Kav
Replied by Kav on topic Turbocharger problem
Hi Ian, The Switzer Turbo was fitted to the Maxidyne Motors in the late 1970's, but they were expensive to rebuild compared to the Turbos that were made in Brazil and sold by Mack. I think that they were Airesearch , and they were cheaper than repairing the old ones at that time. The standard Maxidyne Turbo should go straight on your Motor, but you may have to modify the Drain pipe. Kav.

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #184028 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic Turbocharger problem
Possibly try these guys out of China.

www.turbochargerx.com/?sid=ADBEB47F

The have a turbo for the engine.
www.turbochargerx.com/ProductIndexB/MACK/1.htm

I got stuck sorting out an IHI and they had the replacement. Got two plus kits.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by jon_d.

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #184868 by Ian B
Replied by Ian B on topic Turbocharger problem
Thanks for all the suggestions. I found the turbos were available new from USA but freight more than doubled the price (over 20Kg). In the end I found that the strap holding the exhaust side of the turbo unit had let go, allowing it to misalign and prevent it turning. There was no visible damage to the turbine, so I was able to repair the strap and refit it, and all sounded OK when started with just the bare necessities attached. After full reassembly, took it for a run and I got full 10PSI boost back again, so all is well and she is back to whistling again!
Ian
PS: It is the standard Maxidyne turbo, and Aboods no doubt did buy them from the likes of Gleeman.
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Ian B. Reason: Answer to a question

Time to create page: 0.465 seconds