Skip to main content

Overlander's old Photos

More
6 years 4 months ago #189789 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Overlander's old Photos

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyP, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, xspanrman

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #189915 by overlander
Replied by overlander on topic Overlander's old Photos
Greetings and all the best for this year. This last batch of photos are from my 18 years driving safaris in Africa. The 1st photo was taken on the main road linking Komanda and Beni in Zaire, now Democratic Republic of Congo. The beer delivery trucks, buses and all other transport had to use this road and we were prone to delays from other trucks getting bogged or breaking down.
2nd photo is an ex German military MAN. I drove these for about 4 years. Allegedly 140hp with a 6 speed ZF main with a Hi-Lo box behind and 64 grease nipples.
3rd photo is of the ex UK military Bedford I drove on my first Trans Africa. This truck was hard work what with armstrong steering and forever giving me greif- broken springs and a whole host of other issues. Dud truck.
The 4th photo was taken heading south from Tamanrraset in Algeria to In-Guezzam and the Niger border. The relics helping navigate the route were intended to be sold in west Africa but as you can see didn't make it. People from Germany etc made good money running cars and trucks and buses to be sold as they were throw-a-ways in Germany or France but still valuable in west Africa.
The 6th photo is reversing my truck, 'The Dirty Cow' onto the ferry over the Ubangui River at Mobaye. Ferry fees were a gerry can of diesel. When we got to the other side the ferry driver gets me to reverse the truck to the very back of the ferry so he can then steam it up onto the beach and then I could also get a good run up to get through the soft sand to the Zairian border post.
The 8th photo shows you road conditions/hazards going through a town in Tanzania. You learn to give way to every thing as you can never predict the unpredictable.
9th is of how to get some pocket money driving trucks in Nigeria transporting people and freight.
10th photo is on the main road from Ekok in Nigeria to Mamfe in Cameroon and the last photo is the Leyland I bought down the Nile to Kenya and then used for a good few years working the Nairobi- Jo-burg safaris. Good truck, the boss would break up another leyland and stow the engine,gearbox and springs and anything else he could stash away plus hang a complete rear axle behind the drive, had 8 x 44's for fuel across the front of the pan under floors and room for 24 punters plus bulk food stocks.
We'll get back to Australian trucks with the next installment. Kwahere rafikis
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, BillyP, Dave_64, eerfree, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, xspanrman

More
6 years 3 months ago #190058 by werkhorse
Driving the Fantastic Plastic this time ;)

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, xspanrman

More
6 years 3 months ago #190059 by werkhorse

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
6 years 3 months ago #190060 by werkhorse

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, xspanrman

More
6 years 3 months ago #190061 by werkhorse

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
6 years 3 months ago #190550 by werkhorse
Been a while... But Pete has sent some Road Commodes this time

Note the trailer .... dual purpose ... originally built for Haddads

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
6 years 3 months ago #190551 by werkhorse

Attachments:

More
6 years 3 months ago #190552 by werkhorse

Attachments:

More
6 years 3 months ago #190553 by werkhorse

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, IHScout, PaulFH, asw120, Southbound, xspanrman

Time to create page: 0.702 seconds