Skip to main content

seen around darwin

More
4 years 8 months ago #202299 by bparo
seen around darwin was created by bparo
firstly we went for a ride on this 1942/43 Studebaker still earning it's living taking livestock (tourists) on a war tour of Darwin. It was good fun

Also we went to the 1934 QANTAS hanger. It still has the holes in the frames the Japanese put there in 1942. It doesn't sound like much until you realise it is the home of the Motor Vehicle Enthusiasts Club and open to the public for free - they just ask for you to sign the visitors book and there are some donation tins strewn around. It has a wide range of stuff from a 1918 AEC to a mid 1980's Cadillac, stationary motors and even a steam locomotive

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blackduck59, V8Ian, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #202300 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic seen around darwin

some owners have a sense of humor too

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mairjimmy, PaulFH, roKWiz, V8Ian, oliver1950

More
4 years 8 months ago #202308 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic seen around darwin
That Police Honda one of the old 450's?
Cheers Steve

More
4 years 8 months ago #202311 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic seen around darwin
Hello bparo and hparo,
Who is the young bloke in front of the Blitz? Son, Grandson or someone who just happened to be there?
The steam loco, in railway terms is a 0-4-0 (zero steering wheels, four driving wheels and zero trailing wheels) a typical shunting engine. It is called a saddle-tank because it's water tank looks a bit like a saddle over a horse. It could well have been built by Baldwin in Scotland. (or was it England?)
The only time I was in Darwin was 30 or more years ago and the only museum I could find was a very basic vehicle and machinery collection in a huge old building, maybe it was the Qantas hanger, I cannot remember.
I would love to go back to the Top End one day.
If you get the chance, visit Fogg Dam conservation area. The flood plains of the Mary River, on Point Stuart Station are spectacular when the river is running. Pt. Stuart is some 200 k from Darwin, along the Arnhem highway, past the Bark Hut pub and down Point Stuart Road. If you can score a ride, a airboat is the best way to see the area. There is a tourist park place that caters for visitors on Pt. Stuart Road. There are several other great natural areas but I cannot remember the names. The Information Centre will be able to help you.
My memory may be faulty but I think the Station on the Darwin side of the Mary River is called Wildman River?
Regards.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
4 years 8 months ago #202319 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic seen around darwin

Blackduck59 wrote: That Police Honda one of the old 450's?
Cheers Steve

350, they sold alongside the 500, both were respectively superseded by the 400 and 550.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blackduck59

More
4 years 8 months ago #202320 by Dodgeydude
Replied by Dodgeydude on topic seen around darwin
Steve, I think the 350 badge is a giveaway
sites.google.com/site/ntpmhsociety/home/...otorcycles/honda-350

Many useful things fall off trucks

More
4 years 8 months ago #202325 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic seen around darwin
I like the bikes Rego number.

Nice sense of humour.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 8 months ago #202326 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic seen around darwin
The kid (Tom) is Paul's son. Paul knows some people in the SA branch and had heard our name mentioned. He was told we were coming up and made contact to catch up and show us around. Paul owns the Blitz (and about 10 other things) and Tom has a Morris Minor (even though he is too young to have a learners permit yet).

The steam locomotive is an 0-4-0 Baldwin Saddle Tank and was the first steam locomotive in the Northern Territory and ran on the 3ft6in line south of Darwin that never got to Alice Springs.t often gets referred to as 'the other NA" in railfan circles as the traditional Puffing Billy locomotives were classified NA by the Victorian railways (but only ever showed the A on their number plates) and Sandfly was classifies NA by the commonwealth railways. The first 2 Puffing Billy locomotives were built by baldwin the 3 to 17 were builf by the Victorian Railways at Newport so there is more than one connection. I You can still see where that line ran through town. The new line is about 30 minutes out of Darwin as the line was built to carry stuff to and from the container port, not service the town.

The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, eerfree, Morris

Time to create page: 0.569 seconds