Skip to main content

100 years of trucking

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #206462 by grandad
Bit of interesting viewing here
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Gryphon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, Roderick Smith, Rattail 1927

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #206463 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic 100 years of trucking
Sorry, grandad, it will not open.
Maybe the computer speak for it is "the link is not live"?

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
4 years 2 months ago #206470 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic 100 years of trucking

Morris wrote: Sorry, grandad, it will not open.
Maybe the computer speak for it is "the link is not live"?

should be right now.

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Morris, Mairjimmy, grandad, oliver1950

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 1 month ago #207052 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic 100 years of trucking

WotSezU?

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Attachments:

More
4 years 1 month ago #207053 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic 100 years of trucking
Good list Swishy.

Unfortunately totally US history. The Americans were leap years behind the Europeans in the days prior to 1920 regarding commercial vehicles (and even cars) as they were with aviation. Once they got rolling they caught up. Sheer volume by such makers as Ford and Willys-Overland demonstrated they knew their market and produced tough, simple and reliable cars. They carried that through into their truck lines.

Whether they actually passed the Europeans is probably affirmative for British vehicles but you are still fighting the battle for them against the Continental heavy makes (and in my opinion losing) with your Volvo Lovers thread.

Lang

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 1 month ago #207056 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic 100 years of trucking
Lang m80

European trucks R much more heavier
for every kg heavier = less kg legal payload
They were mainly designed to run around there small countries
European trucks have much more makeup and moisturizer & also for the drivers
this weekend is a bizzy time mainly for 'V'Bus drivers az they B the main feature @ the gay & lezzo show in SidKnee

U.S. trucks R designed to run long miles in freezin and very hot climate ....... just like Au haz
Also they have hi HP trucks th@ can haul big loads

the yanks have never worried to much about fuel consumption as it would have led to less fuel sales and th@ could hurt the oil companies & gvmt cos less $$$ in there pocket

the diesel aint ded yet

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #207057 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic 100 years of trucking
Swishy

You are probably right.

That chart is not the actual consumption but what some government people have decreed. The Europeans are realistic with slow progress as technology improves. The only way the Americans are going to follow their yellow line will be to put Toyota Corolla engines in their trucks geared to a top speed of 15 kmh.

Then again they might start putting European engines in their trucks. The Detroit DD15 has lots of Mercedes/MTU technology already.

lang
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Lang.

More
4 years 1 month ago #207064 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic 100 years of trucking
We have a Flat Earth Society for people who believe the world is flat, maybe we need a society for those who believe that the world comprises only North America.

As Lang said, the list is all American.

English and Scottish manufacturers had steam powered trucks on the road before 1900. John I. Thornycoft Ltd. had a Semi Trailer (tractor-trailer, Articulated truck, or whatever you know them as) in I believe 1886 or maybe it was 1896, I forget which book I saw the picture in.

In 1926 the British War Department designed the first fully floating, load-sharing tandem suspension. It has pneumatic tyres, with the option of single or dual wheels on all around. It is said to be still the second best bogie suspension ever designed. It has extremely good off-road capability.
The War Department patented the design, purely to stop anyone else patenting it and threw it open for any manufacturer to use.
Six British manufacturers did so. My 1926 Morris Commercial "D" Type Six Wheeler is believed to be the earliest surviving example known in the world. I also have one from 1927/28.

Yes, I know the American trucks are larger and faster but produce waiting on freight docks around the world would have perished from 1926 for about ten years until the American trucks were designed and made.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 1 month ago #207149 by rex
Replied by rex on topic 100 years of trucking
Hi Swishy mate
just for the record the heaviest Prime mover working for our Company is a sub contractor with a bonneted KW that tares 7 tonne on the steer and bare all up weight 13 tonnes. Our 700 Volvos go 12 tonnes do the same job roughly 400 Ks round trip with 85 litres less fuel.
No comparison
Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms

More
4 years 1 month ago #207151 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic 100 years of trucking
The company I work for has a pretty even mix of KW, Volvo and MB with a few Scanias in the mix as well. The only thing that the steering wheel attendants can't destroy is KW, the only thing the steering wheel attendants don't complain about is KW, the only thing we don't have to recover from miles out in the bush at a huge cost is KW, the only brand that has a decent parts back up is KW and the only brand that doesn't deny any and all warranty claims is KW and to top it off the only brand that the mechanics don't despise working on is KW. The supposed fuel saving of europuss means zero if they spend the majority of the time unusable.

Time to create page: 0.537 seconds