Skip to main content

First Convoy Across USA

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #212371 by Lang
First Convoy Across USA was created by Lang
This is a great movie about the first US Army convoy right across USA. There were no roads in several sections.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, husky, asw120, V8Ian, PDU, DieselFan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #212376 by mikeg
Replied by mikeg on topic First Convoy Across USA
THe link does not appear to work for me.

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #212378 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic First Convoy Across USA
Just fixed it.

They are a mix of WW1 Liberty Standard Truck and Mack. The cars are Dodge. The motorcycles ??
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikeg

More
3 years 9 months ago #212388 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic First Convoy Across USA
Thanks for that one Lang. I have posted it on the HMVF where I expect it will be favourably received.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
3 years 9 months ago #212394 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic First Convoy Across USA
ASW,

I spotted your post this morning and wondered who it was.

More
3 years 9 months ago #212409 by allan
Replied by allan on topic First Convoy Across USA
The crawlers get a good workout too. Love the unloading technique at abt 6.25 in,

More
3 years 9 months ago #212411 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic First Convoy Across USA
Noticed a couple of FWDs mixed in the convoy.

More
3 years 9 months ago #212464 by lantana jack
I wonder how many of them young army drivers were inspired by the trip to go out and start up their own trucking service..B)

“The improver of natural knowledge absolutely refuses to acknowledge authority, as such. For him, skepticism is the highest of duties; blind faith the one unpardonable sin.” Thomas Huxley

More
3 years 9 months ago #212485 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic First Convoy Across USA
I shared this video on the Mack truck forum a day or so ago

Have a look at the response, very interesting, or at least I thought it was

www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/63273-first-convoy-across-america/
Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #212488 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic First Convoy Across USA
1919 Motor Transport Corps convoy
The 1919 Motor Transport Corps convoy was a "Truck Train" of the US Army Motor Transport Corps that drove over 3,000 mi (4,800 km) from Washington, D.C. (departing July 7 and arriving September 6), to Oakland, California, and ferried to San Francisco. In addition to 230 road incidents (stops for adjustments, extrications, breakdowns, & accidents) resulting in 9 vehicles retiring, the convoy of "24 expeditionary officers, 15 War Department staff observation officers (e.g., Bvt Lt Col Dwight D. Eisenhower of the Tank Corps), and 258 enlisted men" had 21 injured en route who did not complete the trip. Although some "were really competent drivers" by the end, the majority of soldiers were "raw recruits with little or no military training"; and except for the Motor Supply Company E commander (1st Lt Daniel H. Martin), troop officers had "meager knowledge" of "handling men in the field".

1919 Motor Transport Corps convoy car at a service station in a western desert town.
The route taken by the convoy began at the Zero Milestone in Washington DC. The convoy proceeded to Gettysburg, where it met up with the Lincoln Highway. They then followed the Lincoln Highway all the way to San Francisco.

The convoy broke and repaired 88 wooden bridges:10 in Wyoming), and "practically" all roadways were unpaved from Illinois through Nevada. The convoy logged 3,250 miles (5,230 km) in 573.5 hours (5.67 mph avg.). and 6 rest days without convoy travel were used. Convoy delays required extra encampments and, at Oakland, California, the convoy was 7 days behind schedule, ferrying the next morning on the last travel day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: asw120, Brocky45

Time to create page: 0.479 seconds