Skip to main content

Rolls Royce Diesels in Trucks

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #236920 by Lang
Maybe for another thread but has anyone had anything to do with Rolls Royce Diesels.

The only two I personally had something to do with was firstly Keith Williams converted mine sweeper "Achilles" and its no-expense-spared conversion to what was then Australia's finest luxury vessel was fitted with Rolls Royce Diesels. Within 9 months Keith had ripped them out, including the RR auxiliary power plant, and put Detroits in. His engineer said everything about them drove him insane - reliability (on brand new engines), parts availability and non-existent company support.

We were rebuilding the jetty on Daydream Island when the Rolls Royces driving the main and standby generators for the resort were dumped to be replaced by Caterpillars. They were on a factory service schedule but never made the halfway mark to their advertised life before it became all too much with guests using candles and Tilley Lanterns. They had the same story as Williams.

Lang
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #236921 by Dave_64
Think it was Cedric Abood of Aboods Transport out of Sydney, had a R/R powered prime mover, bit of an oddity if I recall, think it was in either a sleeper cab Scania or that one that was rebuilt with a late model Foden cab.

Also think that family member has been on this site, so we may be able to get some confirmation?
Came across a static gen set also running a R/R about 280 hp turbo gen set at a chemical plant.
Only other one I can think of is bloke used to cart dross out of Pt Kembla steelworks. Cant even remember what make of truck, but bonneted model??
Dave_64
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH

More
1 year 9 months ago #236923 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Rolls Royce Diesels in Trucks
Caltex specced some Road Bosses with RR 290s in the late 70s~early 80s. There was much publicity in the transport journals of the day, when ordered but I don't recall any bragging once they were in service and I don't think Caltex specced RR again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH

More
1 year 9 months ago #236924 by hayseed
i used to regulalry se a Rolls Royce powered Kenworth in the Sydney Markets back in the early/Mid 90's. It was a factory Fit (I've seen the Trucks date Plate) he was quite happy with It. But I think It ended Up repowered with a Cummins was cheaper than rebuilding the RR..
Caltex also had a Batch of Rolls Royce powered Road Boss's. Too.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
1 year 9 months ago #236925 by Dave_64
Yeah, thinking that perhaps that bonneted one I was thinking of down at Pt Kembla may possibly have been an ex-Caltex Road Boss.
Maybe why it was fitted with wedge brakes??
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
1 year 9 months ago #236934 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Rolls Royce Diesels in Trucks
I used to deliver the fuel to Nanutara RH, they had an old six cylinder diesel RR driving the generator, they were more than happy with it.

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #236937 by cobbadog
Somewhere deep inside the puta I have a pic or two of the Aboods Foden running the RR engine. It looked and sounded so sweet. It was a regular at the Yesteryear Truck Show.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by cobbadog.

More
1 year 9 months ago #236947 by wee-allis
Speaking of the Yesteryear truck show, there are shots on this very forum of an NR Mack with RR power, although obviously a retrofit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
1 year 9 months ago #236948 by oliver1950
I found these that I posted on here in 2019

You can't have too many toys!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64, Lang, PaulFH

More
1 year 9 months ago #236950 by prodrive
This was once again at Old mates place in Bribbaree. Unfortunately didn't take any better pics of it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH, oliver1950

Time to create page: 0.483 seconds