Skip to main content

Langs next Normandy project - 40's Chev

More
1 year 3 months ago #242507 by Lang
Here is what I pick up tomorrow.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, Pierre, Tacho, wee-allis

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #242514 by overnite
My dad had a 40 Chev sedan. Looks like a lot has already been done to that ute. Pretty rare now.
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by overnite.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 3 months ago #242515 by Lang
Have I got a deal for your Dad.

This vehicle has had a professional remake just needs assembling. Last 10% takes 90% of time and money.

Now for your Dad. It has a triple SU carby set up with extractors. I love SU's but it needs to look pretty original for a military restoration. How would you like to do the 5 minute job to remove his manifold and carby and swap with the fabulous SU set-up? I will keep the extractors as I doubt they give you 1 horsepower more?

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, Pierre, wee-allis

More
1 year 3 months ago #242518 by overnite
Thanks for the offer Lang, but I lost my dad in February 1982. Pity you can’t leave the SUs on. IMO nothing looks better than triple SUs on six. I had them on all my Holdens in my misspent youth.

More
1 year 3 months ago #242519 by Zuffen
Has it got Michelin tyres on it?

Agree the triple SU's sets it apart from all the inferior versions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 3 months ago #242521 by cobbadog
I think the Miuchelins were on the Reggie Rover.
I like the SU carbies, they tend to hold their tune better than most carbies especially when ganged up like that. I ran triples on an olf Holden red motor and would always fire up and when cold need chole for a short time then after that burn the rubber.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
1 year 3 months ago #242522 by asw120

Has it got Michelin tyres on it?

Agree the triple SU's sets it apart from all the inferior versions.

Think they're old Firestone Cavallino (sp?) If they're rag radials, probably still OK.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
1 year 3 months ago #242523 by JOHN.K.
Id say its likely a post war pressure crank motor ...........I dont think a splash 215 with iron pistons would take much in the way of performance mods.
The following user(s) said Thank You: overnite

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #242532 by Lang
John

I think it might still be a splash feed 216. Nothing wrong with splash feed and they built millions of them over a 20 year period. Certainly less trouble than a flat-head Ford V8. I am not sure the prssure feed 216 and 235 had much longer life but they made you feel better with 30psi on the gauge rather than 5-10 psi for the splash feed.

Lots and lots of speed equipment still available going back to the 30's but having their hay-day in the ealier rod and track period of the 50's
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #242539 by Lang
Zuffen

I am not sure about the tyres but they look too small in height to me. The original GMH size was 6.00-16 and the military vehices had 7.00-16. I fitted 7,00R16 to my 1940 Chev staff car I took to Darwin last year (same vehicle but sedan instead of ute) and they looked right. Harder to get tall tyres without ridiculous width making the vehicle look hot-rodded. Luckily Toyota stud pattern and Chevrolet are the same making a change to wider wheels very easy.
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Pierre, Tacho, wee-allis

Time to create page: 0.600 seconds