Skip to main content

heggie's transport

9 years 1 month ago #81268 by
Replied by on topic Re: heggie's transport
...the F 88's differed in having a set back front axle and 10 stud rims, but retaining the "G" model cab...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #81269 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: heggie's transport
Actually Phil The F88 .... And F89 in Europe .... Was the original version and the G88/89 was adapted for us here in Aus .... Same as the LB/LBT Scania and our version the LK/LKT

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by werkhorse.

More
9 years 1 month ago #81270 by xspanrman
Replied by xspanrman on topic Re: heggie's transport
Detective and Werkhorse you are both right.
Volvo Australia first trucks were the F86 and F88. G88 and G89 came latter with the front axle located closer to the bumper bar.
In 1975 Volvo was unable to keep up with the demand for new trucks and 50 UK 4x2 models were shipped from the Sweden factory. Heggie,s F88 was one of them. Some previously mentioned features of these F88's had 10 stud wheels, set back front axle,cab width plastic grill and 290hp engine. (See Vintage Truck and Commercial Magazine Issue 4 page 19).
Danny.
Not remembering any F88's or G89's around Wollongong, you must be a lot younger than most of the writers on this forum.
Volvo trucks in Australia started at Swedish Motors in North Wollongong in 1967. Local operators soon realized how good this newcomer was.
F88's were sold to Bramble's Port Kembla ( probably the biggest buyers of Volvo trucks in the seventies), Nubley Brothers at Fairy Meadow (their F88 4x2 featured in Volvo's ad in Truck and Bus Transportation magazine). P.B. Coleman's F88 6x4 (sold to Carl Spindler of Kiama) was the first of about 15 Volvos (a lot of different models) that they purchased. Coleman's first G89 purchased about 1974 is still working as a 6x4 tipper for "Jack Can Dig" at Albion Park Rail.Photo of this G89 is in VTCM Issue 6 page 32.
South Coast Equipment, Tex Transport and Figtree Freighters were also operating Volvo trucks.
Figtree Freighters G89 was on the Volvo display stand at the truck show at Sydney Showgroung about 1973. They also had a used F88 for a while and this truck was sold and worked several years carting coal out of South Bulli Mine.

9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #81271 by
...the very first Volvo's in Australia were the 10 stud 4x2 F86 with the 3 bar tin grille sold to Mayne Nickless in late 1964 or early 1965 for semi trailer work...

More
9 years 1 month ago #81272 by olddon
Replied by olddon on topic Re: heggie's transport
I remember coming across a F88 (bogie drive) out the back of Ivanhoe (NSW) in the very early 70's,and the blokes driving it were not real impressed with it.It went like the proverbials but all sorts of things kept falling off with the corrugations out there. cheers olddon

More
9 years 1 month ago #81273 by Danny
Replied by Danny on topic Re: heggie's transport
I'm only 39 mate! So yeah, the 1970s is a bit blurry for me lol. I remember G89s of course, and in all likelihood saw F88s but would not have realised the difference back then. I actually never knew there was such a thing as an F88/89 til I moved to England a few years back.

More
9 years 1 month ago #81274 by stuckingear
Replied by stuckingear on topic Re: heggie's transport
Hello all
just how many K100,s were there at heggies?
anyways here's one for you
[IMG

While every care has been exercised in compiling and publishing the data contained in this post

More
9 years 1 month ago #81275 by stuckingear
Replied by stuckingear on topic Re: heggie's transport
forgot to add plate is LNN 721
couldn"t work out where edit was ;D

While every care has been exercised in compiling and publishing the data contained in this post

9 years 1 month ago #81276 by
Hi mate .. yes, some of the options seem to be missing....remove and modify being two i can think of.... :-?

More
9 years 1 month ago #81277 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: heggie's transport

Hi mate .. yes, some of the options seem to be missing....remove and modify being two i can think of.... :-?

I noticed that as well me my big ideas :D :D :D

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Time to create page: 0.623 seconds