Skip to main content

some memories from 1970s

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #81408 by greg wright
While looking through this site and reminiscing about the old times my alzh , al, my , i forget what its called , in the 70s i was driving an o/ nighter for DGE tpt from brighton melbourne [ direct garment express ]who the owners acquired the freight from MAYNE NICKLESS from memory , suits and dresses on hangers , ex melb to syd ,can any one remember SPERLINGA TPT sputnik fords ,KADIMA TPT D SERIES FORD POWERED BY CAT , swallow interstate tpt one red and one green D SERIES FORD , A VERY EARLY BEDFORD with a leyland ?motor running as JETAWAY , WALLY DEBNEY from MOONIE PONDS running DODGES, one driver with snow white hair , amoroso tpt ,there was also happy JACK from HARTRIDGES that i knew ,BIMBOS at BARGO , ROVERS RETURN , p-ss hill at MARULAN ,and not forgetting a certain DMT grub at marulan MR BOLGER known as the BLACK PRINCE , Iwill never forget the night i floated it down JUGIONG HILL north bound i clocked 92 mph through town , and pulled it back into gear at jugiong creek , what a ride , wouldnt do it again , must have been a strange substance in my coffee arr they were good days , hope i didnt bore you , but i still like living in the past .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #81409 by mammoth
Keep 'em coming Greg, we're all ears. Great stuff.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #81410 by kenny-mopar
can remember that truck wreckers on mount alexander Rd before moonee ponds ...they had some old trucks there mostly ww2 "blitzs" etc ...

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #81411 by Scummy
Replied by Scummy on topic Re: some memories from 1970s
Mate bimbo's still there but noone home anymore .

And how about this place , pull ya mirrors !

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #81412 by kenny-mopar
lol bimbos has turned into a dutch pancake joint

More
12 years 2 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #81413 by Scummy
Replied by Scummy on topic Re: some memories from 1970s
They coulnt even make the pancake thing work . They gone too . ;D
What about the bottom photo hey , white knuckle stuff hey .LOL.
Last edit: 12 years 2 weeks ago by Scummy.

12 years 2 weeks ago #81414 by
Replied by on topic Re: some memories from 1970s
...and to think floodwaters would lap at the rails of the bridge...and yet the truckies were still able (or allowed) to proceed across it...

and in those hairy moments, the bridge had quite a distinctive sway... :o :o :o 8-)

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #81415 by greg wright
yes i belted the bridge south bound one night and caved the skirt of the pan in ,went to sleep over my raisin toast and coffee at BIMBOS one morning , oh to wind back the clock /couldnt be on the road now with all the regulations , highest regards to all todays truckies /

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #81416 by oldbugger
I remember Bimbos it was a very sparse place, hard sort of rubber tiled floor and the tables and chairs were tubular steel with a formica top, when people moved the noise of the chairs scraping across the floor is still with me. I cant remember the grub apart from being a greasy spoon place.

More
11 years 10 months ago #81417 by Hi Beam
Ah Yes, Gundagai Bridge, Northbound one night about 2am and they are working on the line on the north side of the bridge. About 20 metres of line removed for replacemant. Didn't stop at the Stop Sign. 250 Cummins 45 ton gross (Marulan closed for repairs), didn't feel like lifting off if I didn't have to. Out of nowhere comes Tom Cabban and gives me a ticket for failing to stop. At the speed we did over that bridge we were nearly stopped anyway. ;D

Time to create page: 0.454 seconds