Skip to main content

some memories from 1970s

More
11 years 10 months ago #81418 by Hi Beam
John Victor is now RIP so can be identified. He was John Victor Ehret, one time Australian Land Speed record holder, truck builder and operator extraordinaire and British Commonwealth Champion BS artist. He taught me to drive in the early sixties in an L Model 190 with a 6/71 GM, and silly wheel pusher pulling a 34 foot closed bogie strap trailer. His definition of legal loading was that the lorry could get over the biggest hill on the route you were taking.

DON'T TOOT SHEEP DRIVER

Jacko and John Victor are heading across the flats at South Gundagai and as they swing around the left hander see a drover asleep in the saddle with about 500 head of woolly backs all over the road. Always one for a laugh John Victor gives the traveling stock a dose of the 12 volt Ford horns powered by 24 volts which adorned the mudguard of the 90.
He had no sooner pressed the button than out of nowhere comes Cabban. Don't toot sheep driver, they'll take off says Const. Cabban. Been tooting sheep man and boy for 20 years says John Victor. and I ain't never seen one take off yet, but has a good look around the sky in case he's missed one. This bit of cheek is not lost on Cabban and he invites John Victor to step out of the wagon and bring his "book" and license, this is probably not really required as they are well known to each other from previous talks by the roadside round Gundagai.
John Victor stops the engine and slips the 90 into gear and climbs out, this action is noticed by Cabban who wants to know what is wrong with the handbrake. John Victor replies there is nothing wrong with it so Cabban wants to know why he put it in gear. To stop the thing rolling away says John Victor, that's what I asked says Cabban what is wrong with the hand brake? nothing says John Victor it just doesn't work, they put a brick behind new ones on the showroom floor to stop them rolling through the window.
Cabban asks John Victor his name and address then so John Victor takes this opportunity to advise that he was born and raised on a wheat and sheep farm and "ain't never seen one take off yet" all over again. By this time Cabban has spotted the silly wheel pusher and asks what this axle is called, John Victor replies the 5th axle, Cabban remarks that depending where you started counting any axle could be the 5th axle, John Victor remarks depending how effing stupid you were this would probably be true.
This last exchange left Cabban behind on points so he leans over the tanks and hungry board, sticks his head down in-between the chassis rails and comes up with a profound statement." It hasn't even got a differential in it". This leaves John Victor somewhat stuck for words and Jacko steps into the breach with "even if you can think of an answer John don't say it or he'll lock us both up"
As we are all aware the law always wins so Cabban gets his book and pencil out and gives John Victor a defect for 16 bald tyres to be "replaced before you cross the border".
Next morning outside of Albury Jacko borrows 16 wheels from passing blokes and they take the 90 into town for inspection. Parking over the road from the police station John Victor walks across and presents his defect notice to the sergeant. Cabban eh? says the serge, "that your truck over there is it?" Yes says John Victor, "looks all right to me says the serge and signs the docket, "too hot to be looking at truck tyres anyway, and that bastard Cabban would book his own mother"
Jacko never forgave John Victor for looking for those flying sheep, he reckoned changing 64 tyres, even with help was just not on.

:) ;) :D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #81419 by melonreo
HI BEAM (0)(0)

thats priceless thanks

More
11 years 10 months ago #81420 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Re: some memories from 1970s
Gold Hi Beam, pure gold. ;D ;D ;D

More
11 years 10 months ago #81421 by Hi Beam
Thanks fellas. Seeing as how you liked that one her's another:-

Taking Pills and Floating off hills.

When I was a young fella and still under the influence of John Victor I got a job driving a 90 with a 400 Comet motor in it, pulling a single axle trailer. As you can imagine a worn out Comet was not nearly as good as a worn out 6/71 GM with 90 injectors so the Comet seemed very slow.
One day I lucked it for a load of second hand railway line from Sydney to Melbourne and remembering the Old Masters advice that freight pays and miles cost got a little bit greedy and put about 14 ton of it on. This was about 4 or 5 tons too much so I had to go over the mountains to avoid Marulan.
Somewhere between Sydney and Melbourne there was a beaut hill in the middle of nowhere, no side roads, straight down this side and straight up the other. You wouldn

11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #81422 by
Replied by on topic Re: some memories from 1970s
g'day Hi Beam .. an early/mid sixties 250 peterbilt, was good for about 72 MPH when they had the mix of those first 22.5 tubeless rims, 5.29 SQHD rears, 4X4 spicer 8016-5B overdrive, and tickled to about 2350 revs...

coming off the top with that momentum...it wouldn't surprise me about the big float speed....cheers

More
11 years 10 months ago #81423 by Scummy
Replied by Scummy on topic Re: some memories from 1970s
" SOUTH BOUND SYDNEY HARBOUR ! "

More
11 years 10 months ago #81424 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Re: some memories from 1970s
Little Harbour, same bridge....different goat track. Pacific Highway.

11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #81425 by
Replied by on topic Re: some memories from 1970s
g'day Hi Beam and all .. who was the bloke with the peterbilt you mentioned in your post ?

...may be able to help you with some history on the truck :) :)

More
11 years 10 months ago #81426 by Intermodel63
Hi beam

Great stuff bring on the stories & pics. Gundy bridge, little Sydney & Taipan just great!

Graham

More
11 years 10 months ago #81427 by steveb
Replied by steveb on topic Re: some memories from 1970s
Ah yes but more interesting when you run out of brakes off Cunninghams and do not get back into gear until Aratula .They say the vibrations stop after 100 mph .Been there done that. Ah once again memories

Time to create page: 0.508 seconds