Skip to main content

Kew Dodge at work

More
11 years 10 months ago #86213 by FatBob103
Kew Dodge at work was created by FatBob103
Hi all
This is the only photo I have of my father's old Kew Dodge (maybe it was a Fargo)
It had Perkins P6 engine. The Spreader on the back was really a lime spreader, but dad was able to work out how to use it as a super spreader and spread super at the rates the cocky's wantedhttp://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q514/FatBob103/BruceGoffsKewDodgewithSpreader.jpg?t=1341143095
The Engine on the back of the Spreader was a J.A.P (If I recall correctly)
Dad was the first bulk super spreading contractor to operate out of The Albany Superphosphate Works in Albany on the WA South Coast.
Photo taken circa 1959.
Cheers

Life is to short to drink cheap wine.  On the other hand I plan to live forever - So far so goo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #86214 by brisbeddy
Replied by brisbeddy on topic Re: Kew Dodge at work
For a Minute I thought it said "Bulshiter and Lime Distributor".
Failing Eyesight, sorry.
I like the drive for the Spreader.
Cheers
Dieter

It sucks to get old and decrepit !

More
11 years 10 months ago #86215 by FatBob103
Replied by FatBob103 on topic Re: Kew Dodge at work
Well my Dad was one of the BS artists you could ever wish to meet
;) :P ::) :)

Life is to short to drink cheap wine.  On the other hand I plan to live forever - So far so goo

More
11 years 10 months ago #86216 by FatBob103
That should be "best BS artists..."

More
11 years 10 months ago #86217 by Coupeute
Replied by Coupeute on topic Re: Kew Dodge at work
Great pic. Thanks for posting.

AL110 inter ute &&FC Holden Wagon&&HJ Holden 1 Tonner&&

More
11 years 9 months ago #86218 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: Kew Dodge at work
FB, did the bin have a chain or belt along the bottom and the JAP to drive the spinner... I see a very ingenious wooden drive gizmo on the back wheel, driving one or the other.

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
11 years 9 months ago #86219 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Kew Dodge at work

FB, did the bin have a chain or belt along the bottom and the JAP to drive the spinner... I see a very ingenious wooden drive gizmo on the back wheel, driving one or the other.
/me

I saw that too and was wondering if they were using the power of the JAP to move the Dodge around the paddock!

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
11 years 9 months ago #86220 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Re: Kew Dodge at work
The drive from the rear wheel powers the feed by chains or belt in the floor to the spinners, whatever the ground speed is a constant rate of product per acre is delivered. Cheers David.

More
11 years 9 months ago #86221 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: Kew Dodge at work
and the motor ensures a constant width [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
11 years 9 months ago #86222 by FatBob103
The chain from the rear wheel drove rakes in the bin which dragged the super to the back where it fell into a screw conveyor then into a single spinner. The rakes were manually lowered as the load emptied. The inside of the bin looked something like a Heath Robinson invention.

The later Marshall (and Crumps, Horwood bagshaws etc) have the same drive from the wheel to chains which went along the bottom of a twin (or single) V bin, consequently there was no need to stop constantly to lower the rakes as there were none. The Marshall's had twin spinners. Dad's later outfit was a Marshall 7 tonne spreader on a Ford K700.

The latest versions of spreaders (Marshall Multi Spreads and Bredalls) have a wide belt which feeds the spinners. The way they are configured means they need a drive feed that goes in the other direction so the modern spreaders use a drive wheel onto the back wheel to drive the belts.

Hope that makes sense to all.

Cheers

Time to create page: 0.452 seconds