• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 9 months ago #87547 by Swishy
Ok

Heres granpa ax

modifications 2 make it more user friendly

New land n legs
convert legs to swing back n up so we can lower front to ground usein truck winch rope

hook spare tyre carryer onto front of Rsend slider

New cheker plate floor

home made suzzy coil fir extandable

convert deck to take shipping type removerable twist locks

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #87548 by hayseed
Here you go RonnyG.

[IMG

And here's a pic of the Axles..

[IMG

i had a 41'X8'2" Freuhauf Triaxle trailer with 3 way pins that had these same Axles.
Being 8'2" wide would've made It late 60's early 70's so those I beam axles were around for along time..

Another unusual feature of this trailer is the Cross members.
Instead of the usual RSJ It has rolled C section Cross Members very similar to Modern Shed purlins.
Again, something I can't remember seeing before..

[IMG

EDIT: Swishy, what's the kingpin setting on that Extendible?? Looks (very) short to me.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by hayseed.

More
8 years 9 months ago #87549 by Scummy
This trailer isnt fully imported from the states ? I worked for a mob in the mid 70's rebuilding trailers as well as converting from bogie to tri and never saw these types of hangers or the square type axles . Maybe mid to late 60's ????
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maxidyne

More
8 years 9 months ago #87550 by Ronny G
Thanks Hayseed,those hubs are the same as our older trailer,some photos I posted on Debos thread,and I reckon she has the same rolled cross members but has flat combing rails.the rear of this trailer is different with combination lights confirming that it has been shortened.So it appears they must have used that deck like yours with different undercarriages for a long time.As I said before our 34 footer looks the same as yours but has the heavier C channel cross members and pressed steel hangers Pro Pa axels etc. but is plated 6/73
I have a plate off our older trailer and will try and clean it but doesn't appear as if there is any numbers on it

More
8 years 2 months ago #167741 by Maxidyne
Cast hangers and I beam axles puts in back to late 50's early 60's. Then came the round axles with hardened bearing seats. Fruehauf no longer offered the round recessed tail lamp rear end in the 70's.

8'2 1/2" didn't happen until early to mid 70's if I recall correctly. I still remember many near new trailers that had pallets sitting on the coaming rails in the mid 70's and we had to put some strange offsets onto the gate legs and pockets...

Re the pressed Fruehauf wide spread, that was mid to late 70's, what a nightmare, especially the early McGrath versions with twin 5/8" rocker bolts always breaking...
The following user(s) said Thank You: hayseed

More
8 years 2 months ago #167811 by Maxidyne
Looking back at your comments, I agree, it might be an imported trailer, as I've never seen those rust catching cross members before either.

Back in the '70s we used to regularly fit new tops to old running gear as the top alone was relatively inexpensive. That way the customer went from 36' to 40' and 8' to 8'2 1/2" at the same time...
The following user(s) said Thank You: hayseed

Time to create page: 0.469 seconds