Skip to main content

1968 Mayne Nickless

More
11 years 6 months ago #94756 by Raggsie
Replied by Raggsie on topic Re: 1968 Mayne Nickless
Was a bit of a driver in the district 30 odd years ago in my younger days and way after these pics.
However the Scenery looks somewhat familiar from childhood days riding shotgun in the Old Mans Bedford.
I would have turned north off Kororoit Creek Rd. at Maddox Rd. over the Railway line then East at Jubilee St. which veers south east into Champion Rd. at Challis St. which lands you at the pictured roundabout at Market Rd. just before the rail line.
Did a bit of work for a bloke who's depot was right on the rail line just over the track from that roundabout but can't make it out from the pic.

1956 International AR160&&196? International A414&&1988 Ford F250&&1982 FORD

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #94757 by BK
Replied by BK on topic Re: 1968 Mayne Nickless
The B model would be a V8, bigger radiator and the shutters are horizontal in the V8's

Trust me

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #94758 by Roderick Smith
I wasn't going to prepare today's quartet; I was going to jump to the craning. However, I am intrigued by the mystery of the locations. I have one advantage over the two who have nominated locations: I have the prints in sequence. If photo 9 is a roundabout, it can't be the one at Jubilee St / Champion Rd, or Champion Rd - Market St, as there are then several photos in lonely landscapes. I include three of them today; the other doesn't reveal much about the landscape, but does include another truck (International?).

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by Roderick Smith.

11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #94759 by
Replied by on topic Re: 1968 Mayne Nickless
g'day Roderick .. i'd say the intersection with the give way sign is where Kororoit Creek Road meets the divided Geelong Road, with the procession now heading east towards the Newport workshops...note the line of cypress pines along what i reckon is Geelong Road, in the first of the last four pics

...the last pic shows what i believe is Kororoit Creek Road heading east with refinery tanks in the background....with a chance of that T intersection being Millers Road...

the ''international'' is the B model as in the previous pics

More
11 years 6 months ago #94760 by scratcha
Replied by scratcha on topic Re: 1968 Mayne Nickless
You might be right too Detective!

I dunno, but i think the inter Roderick is referring to is the "butter-box" in the 2nd piccy travelling in the opposite direction.

Great old photos though!

1418 Benz now really impressing the bride :-)

More
11 years 6 months ago #94761 by Roderick Smith
Thanks,
I have the next two location shots scanned, but I am waiting for a gap to do two more before uploading.

I was referring to the oncoming 'butterbox' with the photo which wasn't needed for site identification.
My guess is International, but what model?
Chasing on Acco brought me to this site:
< www.grubby-fingers-aircraft-illustration...4_walkaround.html> ;,
but my choice of model could be way out.

I have a sense of unreality that all of these photos which seem like yesterday to me are now clearly into the 'Historic truck chat' thread. They were the models on display at Royal Melbourne Show in my early years there.

Roderick B Smith

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #94762 by Roderick Smith
I had a gap to scan some more. This selection brings the scanning to the entry into Newport Workshops.

I am posting to five groups.
On merged feedback, and thinking of the logistics of waiting for the third truck, climbing onto my motorcycle, and overtaking the lead one:
* the earliest six were near Little River.
* The next was in the dip was between Little River and Werribee.
Hence:
9: must be the turn from Geelong Rd (Princes Hwy) into Kororoit Creek Rd. Out of frame left must have been the speedway.
10, 11 & 12: just east of the Geelong railway level crossing. The cypress trees line the railway, not Princes Hwy. The tanks are part of what is now Altona Industrial Park.
13 & 14: just west of Miller Rd. The line in front of the Amoco tank must be Miller Rd, not the Altona railway.
15, 16 (scanned) & 17: R J Long Reserve, standing on Florence St.
18 & 19 (this selection): in Champion Rd, still with no clue how the turn was made.
Perhaps the sharp left from Kororoit Creek Rd was quite achievable?
Perhaps they could sneak up Lemmon St?
Perhaps they went around the block Bayview St, Esplanade, Victoria St?
Perhaps the went the long way, Victoria St, Esplanade, Melbourne Rd, Ferguson St?
It seems that I snuck from R J Long Reserve direct to Champion Rd to make sure that I was ahead.
I had hoped to use the houses in photo18 to detect a backstreet: they are unarguably Champion Rd, opposite the railway museum (checked with Google Earth today).

Apart from commercial vehicles, those ordinary early 1960s cars are so nostalgic. Assorted Holdens, a 1964 Ford Cortina, an older Ford Zephyr.

Post edit, in the light of the breakthrough post which followed:
10, 11 & 12: In Kororoit Creek Rd, just clear of Princes Hwy / Geelong Rd: the cypress trees line the road.
13 & 14: In Kororoit Creek Rd, just west of the Geelong Railway level crossing. 13 shows the end of Refinery Rd / Grieve Pde; 14 shows the crossing, with Total just beyond, on what is now called an industrial estate. That hints that the Total tank hasn't survived.

From unbelievably-slender clues, brainstorming via people with experience has done the trick.

Roderick B Smith

Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by Roderick Smith.

More
11 years 6 months ago #94763 by craigs
Replied by craigs on topic Re: 1968 Mayne Nickless
Third last photo is aproaching the rail crossing just down from Greive pde. Use to deliver the Total mailbag every morning and pick it up in the afternoon, unless running late. Buster (forkie at IPEC) use to be a manager their.

More
11 years 6 months ago #94764 by craigs
Replied by craigs on topic Re: 1968 Mayne Nickless
OOPPPS 4th photo :D

More
11 years 6 months ago #94765 by allan
Replied by allan on topic Re: 1968 Mayne Nickless
Was the roundabout there in the late 60s? I thought they were a later invention?

I haven't got a street directory from that era, but an aerial photo from 20 years earlier (1945) suggests that a more do-able approach could perhaps be Koroit Ck rd, cross the railway line and veer left into Station rd, right into Melbourne rd, then right into Ferguson st and back to the rail crossing from the east?

www.lib.unimelb.edu.au/collections/maps/.../l_sheets/848b4c.jpg

You'll need to use the zoom facility to see the detail.

Time to create page: 0.512 seconds