putty road

11 years 5 months ago #100311 by
Replied by on topic Re: putty road
...g'day Eric .. bring a bit of milk will ya ;D ;D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #100312 by ronhorse
Replied by ronhorse on topic Re: putty road
Whoa, that sounds like some piece of road, would love to hear more stories about it, Rex, know what you mean about changing your outlook about getting there at all costs, after nearly wiping out some people minding their own business it it changed me, also done the gear box repair in the rain on the side of the road but were lighter trucks and easier not like the heavy duty stuff you guys had, any pictures? thanks to all. :o

anything above the reasoning of a mongrel dog is a waste of time

More
11 years 5 months ago #100313 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: putty road
I headed north along the Putty after the Claredon show - had to do the legend, and was advised that from Richmond it would be quicker. I like the way they put in an escape shute on the first short steep down hill but from then on you are on you're own. Boy, I bet those hills smelt of burning brakes in the day. I also took note the way half the trailer duals hung off the edge of the tight left hander when I had on coming traffic - phew. The windy bit between the cliff wall and the river I liked as the F86 was in it's element there. Maybe night travelling was better because headlights gave advance warning of what was coming the other way

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #100314 by newto
Replied by newto on topic Re: putty road
yes and no....headlights bouncing off the cliff walls at the northern end when you're following the winding river could spook you long before the culprit arrived.
newto
ps...i did a lot of breakdowns at night on that road in a holden service van and you had the hair standing up on the back of your neck the whole way....dodging the big boys.
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by newto.

More
11 years 5 months ago #100315 by oldbugger
Replied by oldbugger on topic Re: putty road
1972/3 I had a few drives up and only couple down the Putty Road, I did it once down in the daylight I believe, all other times were in the dark, I tried to go up just after 9 at night when most kept off as the over nighters came down then, travelling in pairs, 6 wheeler kenworth box vans, (grey ghosts?), it seemed that these blokes raced each other, they were nutters. After 9pm you virtually had the road to yourself and I think it was over 5 hours to Bulga. I was driving a red bonnetted MAN then a black ex Eagles and Brahms cab over 1418 for a short while.

More
11 years 5 months ago #100316 by Hi Beam
Replied by Hi Beam on topic Re: putty road
Snatches from the Putty Road
I first went up the Putty in about 1964. It had just been sealed. I was a city boy about 18 on my way to Brisbane for a holiday on my 10 year old 500cc Norton single cylinder motorbike. I was young and very green.
After travelling for hours, or so it seemed, I came to the Putty turnoff and realized that this must be the big town after which the road was named, so turned in to have a beer and a pie for lunch. All I can remember is a rusty petrol bowser in the middle of nowhere. I was last down the Putty in 2005 and called in again. Putty seems to have gone ahead there were at least two or three buildings there.
Shortly after this I started driving trucks, mostly to Brisbane or Townsville and the Putty was the road of choice, no enforcement, no scales no worries. But bloody big hills and lots of them and about five corners to the mile. The first time through was in John Victors 6/71 powered L Model 190 with the 4

11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #100317 by
Replied by on topic Re: putty road
.....i reckon ol' mate Billy M could tell a tale like this... 8-) 8-) 8-) ;)

More
11 years 5 months ago #100318 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: putty road
Hi-Beam, thanks for sharing that mate, very entertaining and a good bit of history.

More
11 years 5 months ago #100319 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Re: putty road

Snatches from the Putty Road
I first went up the Putty in about 1964. It had just been sealed. I was a city boy about 18 on my way to Brisbane for a holiday on my 10 year old 500cc Norton single cylinder motorbike. I was young and very green.
After travelling for hours, or so it seemed, I came to the Putty turnoff and realized that this must be the big town after which the road was named, so turned in to have a beer and a pie for lunch. All I can remember is a rusty petrol bowser in the middle of nowhere. I was last down the Putty in 2005 and called in again. Putty seems to have gone ahead there were at least two or three buildings there.
Shortly after this I started driving trucks, mostly to Brisbane or Townsville and the Putty was the road of choice, no enforcement, no scales no worries. But bloody big hills and lots of them and about five corners to the mile. The first time through was in John Victors 6/71 powered L Model 190 with the 4

More
11 years 5 months ago #100320 by jimbo51
Replied by jimbo51 on topic Re: putty road
Hi Beam,

Mayne Nickless bought East Coast Transport.

Time to create page: 0.497 seconds