Skip to main content

....Jack Errit and his Jackbilts....

• Topic Author
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #101693 by
...nah Eric, it was a Mack before it was a mackworth so it's not up my alley...and Hi Beam tells how this one was written off in the 'Territory...

...wonder what that ???worth was? :-/ :-/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #101694 by Cunning Stunt
Well I've read some great stories on here but nothing has come close to that one Hi Beam. Thanks for taking the time to type it up :)

Some play hard to get

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 4 months ago #101695 by Swishy

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
11 years 4 months ago #101696 by 82cabover
Top story Hi beam a pleasure to read thanks. :)

livin the dream oldskool is cool

More
11 years 4 months ago #101697 by knighty
that's a top one hi beam, australia was built on blokes blokes like that, pity it's all stuffed now...jk

Lotsa Big Toys

More
11 years 4 months ago #101698 by Tired Iron
HiBeam
One of the best stories I've read on here-and we all know there are lots of good stories told here. More please-what Knighty said, and what everybody else said too. More please
Cheers
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

More
11 years 4 months ago #101699 by AERODYNE
Great story Hi Beam ,sorry to here about JC that bloke could get anything going with a screw driver &hammer RIP John. What every happen to Dennis Thanks Chappo
PS sorry Newto been painting the house missed your post

More
11 years 4 months ago #101700 by Hi Beam
G'day Chappo

Don't know what happened to Dennis. After he wrote the Mackworth off he convalesced at Jacks place for over a year I think and last I heard of him he was working for Arnotts Syd-Melb in a big flash jigger in the early eightees. Nice bloke, best boozer I ever met, even Cold Cans would have had trouble keeping up with him I reckon. Bloke rang from SA a few years ago looking for him as his daughter had been hurt in an accident. Never did hear more than that.

Hi-Beam

More
11 years 4 months ago #101701 by Hi Beam
Thanks for the nice comments blokes.

Jack Ehret was of mixed English, Irish, Scottish and German stock. His father John Ernest Ehret was a soldier settler who did a bit of carrying to make ends meet. The par. below refers to him not Jack.

The par is ambiguous in relation to the distance. Was it 45 miles return each trip, 45 miles for the day, 9 miles each way each trip. It could not have been 45 each way as this would have been 270 miles for the day. I am inclined to go for the 45 miles total. His biggest load was 12.85 tons.
His truck was a 1920 solid rubber tyred International of about six tons carrying capacity.

This par was lifted from The Argus of Wednesday 29/12/1926 Page 11 of 18

Rainbow Victoria.

A record in wheat carting was established on Friday by Mr. J. Ehret, contractor, who carted
429 bags of wheat to Rainbow, traversing a distance of 45 miles. His three loads comprised 119
bags, 150 bags, and 160 bags.

In those days of "Iron men and wooden machines" a bag of wheat was 3 bushels, or 180 pounds. 429 bags was therefore 34.47 tons. They would have been loaded and unloaded by hand. John Victor always reckoned his old man was a good doer.

I wonder if he ever knew just how good?

Jack told me that his father used to win the 200 yard sprint at the Rainbow show each year. I thought this was odd as Jack also said he was anchor man in the 1st AIF tug of war team. When I questioned him about this he told me that the rainbow sprint consisted of 100 yard dash down the oval, pick up a 3 bushel bag of wheat off the ground and run back with it. Jack said dad was always last at the turn but first at the finish! ;D ;D ;D

Hooroo

More
11 years 4 months ago #101702 by John Whale
dear hi beam he must have thought after the first load "she;s not even on the overloads" i can bang on a few more bags whale

Time to create page: 0.565 seconds