Skip to main content

Old Interstate Rego Plates

More
11 years 4 months ago #102283 by oldfulla
All

Can anone please refresh my memory re the 1970s Interstate REGO (Number) Plates and the system they were issued under? The white background with red lettering and border ones I'm talking about.

Were they only issued in SA or other States?

Did they all have the IS prefix?

About when were they first issued?

When did issue cease?

And any thing else that you can add about them and their operation - would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Oldfulla - working on another research project. >:( :-[

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #102284 by bigcam
White back ground red letters are NSW IS (Interstate Plates), prefix is IS.
Queensland didn't have Interstate rego so they used to go down to Murwullimbah to register them.
I did a few rego runs down there when I did my apprenticeship.

From memory SA and VIC were white background with black letters.

More
11 years 4 months ago #102285 by hoarder1
Hey Oldfulla,

This might help a bit. Depending on your level of interest, I would have more detailed info which I could perhaps email you. It would include more accurate dates and also pictures of most of the plate types.

In summary, 5 states had Interstate plates - NSW, Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia and Tasmania.

NSW were the ones with red on white. VIC & SA had black on white and WA were the same colour as their other plates at the time - black on cream, then black on yellow.

NSW went from ISA to ISZ (twice)- once with only NSW at top of plate starting in 1958, then a second time with 'NSW - The Premier State' slogan on a reflective plate (started in 1982 and used up to the 1987 introduction of Federal Interstate plates).

South Aust started issuing plates in April 1960. They were black on white and used the 'IS' prefix with four numbers up to December 1966. They then used RIS- 123 format, prefixes SIS, RIH, SIH, TIH, TIS as well before going to RI-1234 set out in 1976. Again plates stopped being used in 1987.

Victoria had black on white plates and started at IS-0001 (or maybe IS-0000) and went through to IS-9999 before proceeding through IT and IU prefixes in the same way. The changeover from IT to IU happened in 1982. I'm unsure how high they got into the IU series before they were discontinued in 1987 (again for the introduction of the Federal Interstate Registration Scheme).

Western Australia is the state I have the least info on, but I believe UIS, 6IS and possibly 7IS were reserved for trucks registered under the Interstate transport system. The Federal Interstate plates came in in 1987 around the same time as the '7' series of plates were being issued from Perth, so I'm not entirely sure if 7IS was ever reserved for Interstaters. I've also got an 'XIS' WA plate, but I've been told this is just a normal passenger plate.

Tassie had white on dark blue plates originally issued in the 1950's and used up to 1970. They ran from ISW-000 to ISW-999 and were replaced by red on white plates using the 'IT' prefix and four numbers with 'TAS' top centre of plate. Later they changed to using 'Tasmania - Holiday Isle' as a slogan at the bottom of a reflective plate (still with red numbers and letters). IS-0001 upwards was used for trucks and IT-0001 onwards was for trailers.

Hope you haven't fallen off your chair from boredom yet. ;)

I'd better go, I think I can hear Santa Claus on the roof! Merry Christmas.

Collector and admirer of ye olde crappe.  I'm interested in researching and collecting old numb

More
11 years 4 months ago #102286 by werkhorse
Merry Christmas hoarder, you could be my Santa ..... Any chance on e mailing my any or all the details on the SA Regos. It would help me greatly with my TNT project as almost all of their interstate fleet was regi'd there till about 1985ish. Cheers Werk

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
11 years 4 months ago #102287 by BK
Replied by BK on topic Re: Old Interstate Rego Plates
They have summed it up for you olfulla, but of coarse on that cheap rego you had to carry interstate loads, no intra state loading was allowed.

Trust me

More
11 years 4 months ago #102288 by BK
Replied by BK on topic Re: Old Interstate Rego Plates
Found this of my Flintstone about 1970 ish also a bit stone chipped.

Trust me

More
11 years 3 months ago #102289 by oldfulla
Thanks guys - thats more than enough info for what I want. But then again - its never too much.

Oldfulla

More
11 years 3 months ago #102290 by dirty wheels
Not so long ago it was very popular here in NSW to have your trailer rego'd in SA.

I'm sure it was to save a few bob come rego time but not sure of the savings.

There were some quite big fleets here in NSW that used this scheme from memory, long finished now though.

DW

And remember

More
11 years 3 months ago #102291 by Beaver
A lot of bus/coach operators in NSW get their first rego in SA.

No Stamp Duty on buses there, so get 3 or 6 months rego, bring it to NSW, transfer it over and no S/D then either.

Considerable saving on a $500K+ purchase.

Perhaps that was the lurk with the trailers ?

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
11 years 3 months ago #102292 by bigcam
Beaver I don't know about NSW, but Queensland has no stamp duty on trailers.
It is obviuosly a cost thing though.
All they need to do is get rid of all the state governments and save us a fortune. LOL.

Time to create page: 0.578 seconds