Skip to main content

Mount Lyell Mine.

More
11 years 3 months ago #106075 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Re: Mount Lyell Mine.
Back in 1972 we stayed in Queenstown with the wifes relatives, her uncle was the Purchasing Officer for Mt Lyell. We had a couple of tours (same type "unofficial") at night and as Scratcha said it was a huge operation. Plus it rained all the time. We have been back a couple of times since and the main thing we have noticed is the increase in foliage on the hills.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #106076 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Re: Mount Lyell Mine.

Mount Lyell No5

And granddaugher

The rack on the line is for the pinion to drive on to pull the train up the steep grades
Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #106077 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: Mount Lyell Mine.

Scratcha, that motel looks remarkably like the Heemskirk in Zeehan.

Speaking of railways, the Abt railway (nice photos, Mairjimmy) is due to close shortly due to several slips and not enough cash to fix the damage (to the land and line). A crying shame. Fingers crossed the operation can be saved.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Andy Wright.

More
11 years 3 months ago #106078 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: Mount Lyell Mine.
Na Andy that hotel is in Queenstown. Stayed a night or two in a room just to the right out of shot.

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
11 years 3 months ago #106079 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: Mount Lyell Mine.
Cheers, Werk, I had my doubts about my ID.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

More
11 years 3 months ago #106080 by scratcha
Replied by scratcha on topic Re: Mount Lyell Mine.
Dead on Werkhorse, its the one behind the Queenstown hotel ;D

The Quietest pub in Queenstown, only saw one bloke get knocked out while i was staying there, it was by a "lady" in her 50's (I couldnt date her by her teeth, she didnt have any) :o

1418 Benz now really impressing the bride :-)

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #106081 by Mairjimmy

We have just been over in Tas about 3 weeks ago and bought this book which has most of the earlier photos in this post in it,it is 200 pages with about 3 to 400 photos .Should have got another one on early transport in Tas which I spotted in the Salamanca market ,am going back to Tas in a coulple of weeks so I will see if I can find it.
Andy...We did the train trip from Strahan to Queenstown and there was no mention of concern of it closing.It was one of the highlights of the trip.
Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Mairjimmy.

More
11 years 3 months ago #106082 by werkhorse
Hmmm ...... Ya didn't get ya passport stamped while you were here ..... That might cost you a beer :P :P ;D

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
11 years 3 months ago #106083 by werkhorse
Ahh ... A Les Morley book ..... Be a good read .... He does articles for restored cars magazine.

More
11 years 1 month ago #106084 by Mairjimmy
werkhorse,
Okay werkhorse where do we get our passport stamped over there ,hope to be back there later in the week for 10 days ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Colin

Time to create page: 0.560 seconds