Skip to main content

Mount Lyell Mine.

More
11 years 1 month ago #106085 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: Mount Lyell Mine.
Well I'm in Launceston if ya passing through ... What's your plans ? Hopefully I am meeting up with Ken903 this weekend to look and hopefully get him a TBB backend for his truck.

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #106086 by Tatra
Replied by Tatra on topic Re: Mount Lyell Mine.

This is a neat photo-shows the father and son. The boy is a KZ series Leyland Cub, while the Dad is an EH series Leyland Super Hippo. The Super Hippo would probably have a 125 horsepower O.600 motor.

Fageol,

IMHO this is a pre-war Super Hippo (the Cub also has a decidedly 30s look about it) like the one below pictured at the Dead Sea mines (which are possibly the other extreme to the Lyell mine - hot, dusty, it never rains and the water nearby is :o) in the 1930s, so it could not have had the Leyland 600 which I think was only available as of 1948 or whereabouts.

The other truck is a Swiss Saurer which just delivered a Sulzer genset engine. The locals borrowed the Swiss operator's trailer to move a boat. Not sure about the lighter vehicles.

Cheers

T
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Tatra.

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #106087 by fageol100
Replied by fageol100 on topic Re: Mount Lyell Mine.

This is a neat photo-shows the father and son. The boy is a KZ series Leyland Cub, while the Dad is an EH series Leyland Super Hippo. The Super Hippo would probably have a 125 horsepower O.600 motor.

Fageol,

IMHO this is a pre-war Super Hippo (the Cub also has a decidedly 30s look about it) like the one below pictured at the Dead Sea mines (which are possibly the other extreme to the Lyell mine - hot, dusty, it never rains and the water nearby is :o) in the 1930s, so it could not have had the Leyland 600 which I think was only available as of 1948 or whereabouts.

The other truck is a Swiss Saurer which just delivered a Sulzer genset engine. The locals borrowed the Swiss operator's trailer to move a boat. Not sure about the lighter vehicles.

Cheers

T

Interesting photo, Tatra. The bonneted (normal control) EH series Super Hippo was a post war model. I could be mistaken, but I think all pre war Hippos were forward control (side type) TSW series, which would have been powered by either petrol or diesel versions of Leyland's T series o.h.c. engines. Pre war bonneted Leyland six wheelers were the TE series Terrier and the very low production TR series Rhino with set back front axle. The Leyland truck in your photo couldn't be a Cub as all Cubs and Lynxs were on 8 stud wheels, and this truck appears to be on 10 stud wheels. Also the big hubs on the tandem don't look like Leyland axles of this era. The Cub and Lynx models weren't built after World War II, eventually being replaced by the semi forward control Comet CP/ECP and CO/ECO models from 1947. I think the car parked between the two trucks may be a Chevrolet of around 1929-1930 vintage.
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by fageol100.

More
11 years 4 weeks ago - 11 years 4 weeks ago #106088 by Tatra
Replied by Tatra on topic Re: Mount Lyell Mine.
Fageol,

I'm more than certain the pic was taken before the war. Clearly not a Cub so I assumed a Hippo - to me it looks like the truck from the Lyell mine. As I'm sure you know, logic did not always prevail when the Leyland model names were used :)

As for the Riyno, was that the 6X4 version of the below (described on the British Commercial Vehicle Museum's site as a "Leyland Buffalo TQ3" - not sure they are correct about that...)?

Edited to add I just fount the below on Mike Ashford's Flickr page ( www.flickr.com/photos/36844288@N00/ )

The posting below the pic says:

"This Rhino lorry chassis, built by Leyland Motors, is fitted with a body for Hovis (also constructed by Leyland) , the flour and bread makers then based in Macclesfield, Cheshire although they had several mills elsewhere in the UK. The chassis with the forward bonnet looks very continental in design, almost German."

It does indeed look like something from Central Europe - I did not even know Leyland produced strange creatures. Not sure what markets they had in mind. Having said that, why not a "normal" version with the front axle placed where you would expect it? The tuck I posted looks to me like no more than a 6X4 version of the 30s Beaver, so...
Last edit: 11 years 4 weeks ago by Tatra.

More
11 years 4 weeks ago - 11 years 4 weeks ago #106089 by fageol100
Replied by fageol100 on topic Re: Mount Lyell Mine.
Interesting photos Tatra, the earlier TQ1 and TQ2 Buffalo models were conventional forward axle trucks. The TQ series Buffalo was a normal control version of the forward control-(side type in Leyland parlance because the driver sat beside the engine) TSQ Bull models. Leyland must have been running short of animal names starting with B, because the set back axle TQ3 Buffalo would appear to be a completely different model to the earlier Buffalos. The TE series Terrier was a conventional forward axle six wheeler unlike the radical looking TR series Rhino.

Interesting also that Leyland used the Buffalo name for three completely different truck models over the years:
TQ series of the 1930s.
EHB extra heavy duty Buffalo of the mid to late 1950s and early 1960s.
BU51 series Ergomatic high datum-raised cab 500 series of the 1970s.

In my earlier post I mentioned the TE series Terrier and TR series Rhino as being Leyland's pre war bonneted six wheelers. There were also Cub-(early side valve KG series, and later overhead valve KZ series) and Lynx-DZ series normal control six wheelers. I think single drive and trailing axle models were-for example-Cub KZSX, and tandem drive models were-for example-Cub KZDX.
Last edit: 11 years 4 weeks ago by fageol100.

Time to create page: 0.534 seconds