Skip to main content

Vale Ed Cameron.

More
7 years 9 months ago #172362 by hayseed
Vale Ed Cameron. was created by hayseed
Ed Cameron, the man who imported the First Kenworth Trucks to Australia passed away yesterday (15/7/2016).
truly the end of an era.. R.I.P.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: tim

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #172366 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Vale Ed Cameron.
Never met the man personally, but had read quite a bit about him. Truly a remarkable and well respected man.

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
7 years 9 months ago #172399 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Vale Ed Cameron.
.....YEP....
The transport industry has lost a truly great man.
I worked for him at the Bachell Ave , Lidcombe depot .....( Sydney)
A thorough gentleman and good all round bloke.........R.I.P............
.....................Billy......................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

More
7 years 9 months ago #172423 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Vale Ed Cameron.
There are two threads running in HCVC facebook. I did revive and repost
two garish orange photos posted there, so have them here too. Both were of Cameron trucks, not of the man.
Both were from John Westendorp. I guess early 1970s.

Roderick

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, Mrsmackpaul

More
7 years 9 months ago #172427 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Vale Ed Cameron.

Dave_64 wrote: Never met the man personally, but had read quite a bit about him. Truly a remarkable and well respected man.

Yep what Dave said he came across in reading about him he would be a interesting fella to have a chat with

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

• Tacka
7 years 8 months ago #173531 by Tacka
Replied by Tacka on topic Ed Cameron
Would like to see some info posted about a man that changed the face of Aussie trucking forever. I really don't think Ed Cameron has been given the recognition he deserves as he was the man that made it happen - got wheels turning like they should have - he was not content with slow old pommie lorries he got some horsepower going and got freight (actually fruit) to markets in real time, the transport industry is a better place because he taught us all that there is no substitute for horsepower and timely deliveries of freight.
Best regards
Tacka

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 8 months ago #173574 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Vale Ed Cameron.
Yes Tacka
U B right

Ed n his associates transformed the Australian trucking industry from the old pommy slow lorries n dragged the industry into the next century with reliable, fast and driver friendly diesel powered trucks

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
7 years 8 months ago #173592 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Vale Ed Cameron.
reliable & driver friendly .... must be talking about Volvo who started in Aus in 1967, a time when anything and everything new was getting a try. History shows that V & K have both won out over the rest in Aus. Getting (and keeping) the corporate stars aligned has been as important a part of that story as the quality of the trucks, and I guess it was Ed that laid the right foundations.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #173606 by defective
Replied by defective on topic Vale Ed Cameron.
...It's probably not very well known that Ed Cameron and Laurie O'Neil (of Peterbilt Australia fame) were working together, and united in selling Kenworth trucks for that very short period in mid 1966 to late 1967. O'Neil had relinquished his Peterbilt franchise, and Ed had handed control of his Australian Kenworth operation over to Paccar, paving the way for full scale local production and control of sales and strategic aims for the parent company.

...Both men were significantly "short changed" in the deal.... Cameron having stayed on as Managing Director acquiesced to the parent firm and could not make too many waves as he handed over the reigns. O'Neil on the other hand was livid with his treatment, taking legal action having lost TWO franchises in very short order...His challenge was successful, although it was a very unsatisfactory outcome for his business when the dust had finally settled.

...Both men were giants in their pursuits, and of equal note, were very modest about their achievements. At 90 years of age, Laurie O'Neil still enjoys good health and to this day has a love and affection for the Peterbilt trucks....just don't mention the word "Paccar". These men were instrumental in Kenworth becoming the market leader of heavy trucks in Australia today and the ongoing success of that parent firm.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by defective.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

Time to create page: 0.516 seconds