Skip to main content

Movin ya ol bags around...

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #113619 by Chocs
Here ya go..
Heres a bag truck or bag trolley...
How many different sorts did they have?
I guess there was a special design for the various commodities?

chocs 8-)

[IMG

[IMG

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #113620 by steveb
Worried there for a moment,thought I might have seen a photo of 1st. wifes car

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #113621 by Roderick Smith
Mine just has to be a family heirloom: authentic Victorian Railways, passed by my grandfather (a VR stationmaster) via my mother.
Or, it is part of a lot of VR scrap which I bought from Spotswood reclamation depot in the early 1970s.
It is quite heavy.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #113622 by geoffb

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #113623 by tim
Replied by tim on topic Re: Movin ya ol bags around...
Geoffb, I hope your good lady is'nt reading over your shoulder or you'll have no leave passes for a long time joe. Talk about putting your neck out. Cya on the highway mate. Cheers Tim ;) ;D :o ::)

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #113624 by Roderick Smith
Here are two on the hard drive already. These are the larger four-wheel platform trolleys. A single one would be moved by hand. At larger stations, they could be linked (the handle of one into a bracket on the rear of another), and towed with a small tractor.

691201M Parkes Mail Silver City Comet trolleys. R Smith

740415M Horsham platform trolley. S McLean

Roderick B Smith

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #113625 by werkhorse
We had one of those ex railway 4 wheelers at the workshop during my apprenticeship......used for hauling engines around the shed ..... mainly Cummins AND Detroits.....no discrimination in our workshop ;) ;) ::) :P ;D

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #113626 by bparo
I have 2 of the 4 wheelers and one bag trolley in the shed. One of the 4 wheelers has the solid rubber tyres and the other has the cast wheels with VR as the spokes. Unfortunately it has one mismatched wheel. Both are currently in use holding stuff off the floor. The longer term plan is to mount a stationary engine on the later one. If I can get the matching wheel for the older one it will be cleaned up for use as a table for drinks etc once the new shed is built

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
11 years 2 weeks ago - 11 years 2 weeks ago #113627 by Roderick Smith
Here are two which is on the hard drive already: a hand cart at Battambang station, Cambodia, on Wed.25.12.03; and a similar one at Pursong on Tues.24.12.03. (Roderick Smith)

I do have other styles and places, but they have to be found and scanned.

Roderick B Smith

Last edit: 11 years 2 weeks ago by Roderick Smith.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #113628 by Roderick Smith
The thread started with a request to list variant styles.
We began with the classic two-wheel trolley. They were tricky to load: hold them too vertical and they would jam to a halt, or the load would fall off; hold them too low and too much weight was on the hands of the person doing the wheeling. The type survives today with metal frames, and belts to hold the load onto the frame. There is also the rotating triple-wheel stair-climbing variant.

The others which I have shown were the wooden trays built like a billy cart: fixed rear axle and steerable front axle. They could be propelled by hand, or linked together via the towing handle and hauled by a small tractor. Sydney Central was famous for having rakes of 15-20 towed through the crowd on the concourse. Melbourne Spencer St's 1962 rebuilding separated the trolleys from people.

A variant from my next selection is similar, but the trolley sits high on much bigger wheels. That was common in USA: low-level platforms serving normal-floor vans. South Australia had a lot of USA influence, also had low-level platforms at a lot of places, and also the high trolleys.

Stations also had wooden wheelbarrows: not hopper like a garden one, but a wooden-tray top, with a restraining riser at the front. They were very easy to tip over sideways if stowed thoughtlessly.

Today's pair show another NSW variant. Two equal portions each side of a central pair of wheels, with stoppers at each end. They would rest at an angle (like a DC3 aeroplane), then be brought horizontal when wheeled. The one shown at Murwillumbah looked to be longer than the ones which I recall seeing in Sydney, and the deck was straight. My memory of the Sydney ones is that the deck kinked at the axle. They were used a lot for trundling water bottles to carriages. As with most of my photos for this thread, they are cropped from small portions of photos taken for other reasons, and the quality is lost.

700110Sa Murwillumbah NSW trolleys R Smith

Roderick B Smith

Time to create page: 0.493 seconds