Skip to main content

Diesel in drums

More
9 years 2 months ago #154442 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Re: Diesel in drums
Some good ideas there, but like I said, things have slowed and I'm just doing maintenance, so fuel usage is down.
I don't mind using the "big" pump, but amazed how worried the new servo operator was.
A bit like the mobile phones and other devices that are just waiting to go BANG.
I think you can even use mobiles on planes again?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #154443 by fargo1
Replied by fargo1 on topic Re: Diesel in drums
Hi Jeffro. Has happened to me too although it was with ULP. My suggestion would be to find your local fuel depo. They usually have a bowser on site which you can use to fill your bulk containers, tanks or trucks. Usually the price is cheaper too. Stephen

More
9 years 2 months ago #154444 by jeffo
That's right too.
There's a serve-yourself bulk fuel outlet in town, but that's 25k's away. Local servo is only 5ks.
Nope, just having my whinge for the week.
At least they didn't want to see certification on the side of the 4-gallon drums.
Had that happen when using jerry cans at a servo in Maryborough, wouldn't let me fill them so went down the road to the next garage, no worries mate.
Funny old world, hey.

More
9 years 1 month ago #154445 by jeffo
Well they turned off the "big" pump today while I was filling some 4-gallon drums in the boot.
Eventually the cashier came out and told me I'd have to take the drums out of the boot to which I replied, "That wasn't the story you told me last time".
So she had a bit of a think and turned it on again.
All good.
Who said life wasn't meant to be easy ???

More
9 years 1 month ago #154446 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Re: Diesel in drums
Just another case of O.H.& S getting up our collective noses. Getting that way that you won't be able to use a public convenience unless you put in a request two days in advance and in triplicate! Better keep away from the prunes!

Some of these servo owners/operators seem to be on a power trip. I was filling my Toyota (180 litre tank) and as they had taken all the trigger locks off the handles, jammed the tank cap in to keep her going. Got sprung standing beside the pump with hands in pockets, operator stopped the pump! Was told in no uncertain terms that it was a legal issue! Another time I was out on the bike and pulled up at the pump (different servo), started filling the tank whilst straddling the seat, same thing, operator stopped the pump.

Thirty, forty years ago, it was said that the unions were going to stuff this country. This day and age it is the do-gooders like O.H.& S. Before retiring, had a spell in W.A. in a nickle mine on a dozer, it got that way, I couldn't work under those conditions. Was so bad that they had crews cruising around "safety inspectors" in Toyotas, looking for safety breaches. Wouldn't have been so bad if they simply kicked your backside if you stuffed up, these mongrels were given a supermarket voucher (for beer I'd imagine) if they reached a certain quota of breaches. What happened to the good old days when if you saw someone doing something stupid, you took them aside on the quiet and reamed them out?

Cheers, Dave

More
9 years 1 month ago #154447 by jeffo
Ah well I'm gradually working my way through their staff.
Pretty soon they'll all recognise the old fart filling his diesel from the boot and she'll be sweet.
I'd forgotten how fast the juice comes out of those big pumps, got a bit of splash on Mr's boot carpets

9 years 1 month ago #154448 by
Replied by on topic Re: Diesel in drums
I think its like any business these days if the people have just gone thru the OH&S training they are all gun ho and after a while they see reality.

I had a local Woolworths/Caltex tell me I could not fill the tractor while it was on the truck and had to unload it onto the ground before filling. Well they now miss out on my business.

Trevor

More
9 years 1 month ago #154449 by harpo
Replied by harpo on topic Re: Diesel in drums
I really think most service station attendants do not know the dangerous goods code.. Diesel is only a combustable likquid, where as petrol is a flammable liquid. :) :)

d.l.marks&&( harpo)&&     on&&LA SNAIL -(69 beddie)&&&

More
9 years 1 month ago #154450 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: Diesel in drums

I think its like any business these days if the people have just gone thru the OH&S training they are all gun ho and after a while they see reality.

I had a local Woolworths/Caltex tell me I could not fill the tractor while it was on the truck and had to unload it onto the ground before filling. Well they now miss out on my business.

Trevor

Our local is a Shell/Coles. I always see loaded equipment being filled. They did tell me to unload the mower drum, however.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
9 years 1 month ago #154451 by John Whale
Replied by John Whale on topic Re: Diesel in drums
a bit of topic i know, as a water carrier i had complete a food handling course at my local council on behalf of the state gov if i go into a neighbouring council as i do regulary i have notify the said council 72 hours before going inside their boundaries hope you are not thirsty cheers whale

Time to create page: 0.489 seconds