Skip to main content

Broken bolt

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #169305 by Phred1
Broken bolt was created by Phred1
Hi folks
I'm looking for a person in the Latrobe Valley area who specializes in removing broken bolts i unfortunatly bought a Kia and the bolt holding the harmonic balancer on has snapped off in the front of the crankshaft.I have found a fix for the design issue that causes the problem (i hope) but want to avoid replacing the crankshaft if possible, hope someone can help
Regards Peter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #169306 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Broken bolt
Unless the threads were galled or it was Loctited in it should come fairly easy.
Drill the centre of the bolt and use an Easy-out to unscrew it.
Cheers Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #169308 by Phred1
Replied by Phred1 on topic Broken bolt
Hi Steve
Have been there with the easy out myself and had a mechanic have a go as well I would assume it probably been loctitedconcidering the history they have for coming loose it's also very hard to jam tha flywheel to stop the crankshaft turning while doing this
Regards Peter

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #169309 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Broken bolt
May have to heat the bolt then loosen the Loctite.
May need to remove the starter and jam a bit of flat bar into the flywheel teeth to lock it.
I have a bar with a plate welded to it and holes drilled in the plate to suit the bolt holes on the balancers that have holes tapped in them. Bar jams up against the subframe
Cheers Steve

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #169323 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Broken bolt
I am not a fan of easyouts. If you break one in the bolt the only answer is spark erosion which of course means dismantling the engine to get the crank out - not good.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #169330 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Broken bolt
As Blackduck59 says, heat the bolt to nullify the Loctite.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #169332 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Broken bolt
A very easy way to lock any engine is to pull the spark plug/injector on the cylinder closest to where your doing the work. Turn the engine over till you reach about half way down the power stroke and feed a length of clean Nylon rope into the cylinder. Turn the engine backwards until it binds up and your done.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #169337 by scratcha
Replied by scratcha on topic Broken bolt
this may sound rough, (im a bit renowned for that) but I have welded a large flat washer to a broken bolt, then welded a nut onto the washer. every time they just unscrew. the heat from the welding loostens them up.

And for locking them up. what dieseldog said sounds a go!

1418 Benz now really impressing the bride :-)

More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #169370 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Broken bolt
That's not rough Scratcha, that's how most professionals will do it.

Phred, if you try this method, make sure the earth clamp is on the nose of the crank, right beside where you are welding. It might also pay to attach a second earthing lead from the nose of the crank to the block, so if there are any stray currents, they won't arc across the crank bearings.
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by dieseldog.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #169376 by tim
Replied by tim on topic Broken bolt
Phred, just a little warning, if you use the Nylon cord method (and it's a good method) make sure that you tie the end of the cord tightly to some thing that won't fit down the plug hole, before you feed all the cord down the engine bore. Bit embarrasing otherwise.
Cheers Tim :dry:

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

Time to create page: 0.527 seconds