Skip to main content

What CAR is this???

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
7 years 9 months ago #172569 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic What CAR is this???
I must admit that Sunbeam grill does look the goods compared to the Riley........
.......................Billy....................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #172573 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic What CAR is this???
So what happened to the 2 photo's of the two, 2 door sporty looking jobs hooked up to the caravans? Banished to the ether for being off topic or something? I just wanted to know what that one supposedly pulling the long, bogie caravan was.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 9 months ago #172575 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic What CAR is this???
Davo
Gudday M8

me thinx the vans haz been side shifted ovr yonder

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/general/15759-cars-with-caravans

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
7 years 9 months ago #172586 by mikeg
Replied by mikeg on topic What CAR is this???
That distinctive V radiator would rule out most of the vintage era cars. I have ruled out Crossley, Bentley, Riley, Sunbeam, Armstrong Siddley (mostly the shape of the sides of the radiator) for a number of reasons and a couple of others but have found one that fits the bill.
I think it is a 1929 Talbot 14/45 tourer

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #172591 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic What CAR is this???
Hi,

that does look close. A much better match for the windscreen.

Here is the original picture to make it easier to compare with the Talbot.
http://www.hcvc.com.au/forum/attachment/1698

Terry
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Gryphon.

More
7 years 9 months ago #172632 by dno
Replied by dno on topic What CAR is this???
I recon it might be a Sunbeam.

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com

More
7 years 9 months ago #172649 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic What CAR is this???
dno is the closest

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
7 years 9 months ago #172710 by mikeg
Replied by mikeg on topic What CAR is this???
I agree that at first glance a Sunbeam does look close but I don't think it can be a Sunbeam
Why? Well check out the following from the pics
The bottom of the radiator is flat on the Sunbeam but the one pictured appears to have the same arched curve across the bottom as the Talbot.
All Sunbeams of that era had bloody small and mostly next to useless front brakes, some models even had none but check the size of the front brakes on the mystery car and then those on the Talbot, they are huge.
Also most Sunbeams had upright posts from the dumb irons to support the headlight bar and the mystery car has none just like the Talbot.
Finally, it is hard to tell from the pics but most of the Sunbeams I have seen are really large cars and usually had heavy enclosed bodies, the mystery one does not seem large enough to me to pass as a Sunbeam.
So I'll still stick with my guess as it being a 1929 Talbot 14/45.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #172713 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic What CAR is this???
The Sunbeam Motorcar Company Ltd was formed in 1905 to separate the Sunbeam motorcycle and bicycle maker from the new car manufacturer.

Sunbeam merged with the French company Automobiles Darracq S.A. on August 13, 1920. In order to import Clément-Bayard cars into England, Darracq bought the London-based firm of Clement-Talbot to become Talbot-Darracq. The addition of Sunbeam created Sunbeam-Talbot-Darracq, or STD Motors, however during the height of the Great Depression in 1935 STD Motors went bankrupt.

In France the former Talbot plant was purchased by entrepreneur/engineer Antonio Lago who from 1935 produced luxury cars badges as Talbot-Lagos (though when these were imported into the UK they still turned up carrying the old Darracq name).

Talbots were still a success at this time and in 1935 both its UK assets and the Sunbeam business were purchased by the Rootes Group headed by brothers William 'Billy' and Reginald Rootes.

Sunbeam (Small brake theory is incorrect) Even with the pointed radiator like the sedans above I do not think this is it.

Talbot (This gets my vote)

Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Lang.

Time to create page: 0.531 seconds