Skip to main content

A Jaguar MkII

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #207784 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic A Jaguar MkII
Those pommy electric fuel pumps are the prime cause of the demise of the British Motor industry. They are so unbelievably hopeless that it must have been a deliberate sabotage plan by a disgruntled engineer.

Almost anybody who owned a Jaguar, Rover, Land Rover, Rolls Royce etc etc knows how to find the pump and whack it with a stick or hammer (often carried for the purpose). Of course most of them knew the NRMA phone number by heart.

I can remember sitting with a failed pump on the mudguard of a Landrover as a 16 year old pouring fuel directly into the carburetor while my mate drove to get us back to the house on a property north of Mount Isa back about 1963.

I also remember impressing my now wife on our second date in my 3.8 MKII Jaguar about 1966 on a right turn from the left in the rain in Flinders Street, Melbourne. Stopped in the middle of the road blocking traffic and trams. The copper raised his eyebrows as I got out and pounded the rear quarter panel (where the pump is) until I heard the asthmatic "click,click,click". Must ask Bev if she thought I was a brilliant mechanic or this bloke was taking her on a date in a piece of pommy junk.

Lang
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zuffen, PDU, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #207789 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic A Jaguar MkII
I once had twin SU pumps feeding a Mazda R100 rotary in my 1963 MGB.

It needed two to go even close to keeping up with the fuel burn.

I had the car for around 18 months and I must have beaten those two pumps up 50 times.

Never used one again.

My Series @A Landy had a 186 in it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
4 years 1 month ago #207795 by Pierre
Replied by Pierre on topic A Jaguar MkII
Ha ha, this thread has uncovered some interesting vehicles (aside from commercials) you guys have owned & great tales to go with them.
Could be a book in itself!! :)
I replaced my MK 2 original fuel pump many years ago for the very reasons listed.
R
Pierre

Pierre

More
4 years 1 month ago #207798 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic A Jaguar MkII
Hi,

I have a 1977 XJS V12 and I wanted to remove the starter motor once because it was stuck. According to the manual there are 32 steps to complete, other things you have to do to get access, before you get to the steps to actually remove the starter itself.

Terry

More
4 years 1 month ago #207800 by Lang
On the early minis the brake master cylinder was held on by 4 bolts/studs - 3 different sizes!

More
4 years 4 weeks ago - 4 years 4 weeks ago #207806 by JEFF5343
Replied by JEFF5343 on topic A Jaguar MkII
Back in a long lost world when the banks were actually robbed, as opposed to these days, when the banks rob the people, the mark 2 Jaguar was the ideal getaway car, especially in the UK. Much faster than what the police had and room for the loot and weapons and accomplices. The police then got the S Type in an attempt to catch up.

There were some pretty fast pedallers and good tuners in the day too, like Roy “the weasel” James, racecar driver by day and getaway driver by night.

By the way, no air cond or power steering in my genuine 3.8 mk 2 mod, rather a tuned motor including triple SU and lightened flywheel etc. Ronnie Biggs, or Roy James would never approve of “soft accessories” such as air cond or power steer!!
Last edit: 4 years 4 weeks ago by JEFF5343.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #207807 by Lang
Who can forget Bob Jane in his white Jaguar MKII and later E-Type.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEFF5343

More
4 years 4 weeks ago - 4 years 4 weeks ago #207808 by Lang
Jeff

I read somewhere that the vehicle of choice for the hoodlums' getaway car was the 3.4 not the 3.8. Don't know the reason why - any ideas?

Here is a later Jag/Daimler in a chase. Would need a cut and polish afterwards, quite funny. There is even a Volvo truck for Swishy.

Here is a good article on the MKII and "The Weasel"
www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/revi...car/article35005668/
Lang
Last edit: 4 years 4 weeks ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEFF5343

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #207809 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic A Jaguar MkII

Gryphon wrote: Hi,

I have a 1977 XJS V12 and I wanted to remove the starter motor once because it was stuck. According to the manual there are 32 steps to complete, other things you have to do to get access, before you get to the steps to actually remove the starter itself.

Terry

Sounds a bit like a Current V8 Landcruiser.. It's an 11 Hour Job to remove & replace the Starter Motor..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #207813 by Pierre
Replied by Pierre on topic A Jaguar MkII
ooooh, I've got your juices flowing now guys!
Great articles & comments, hope this thread is OK on a Commercial Forum Hayseed!
He he.
r
Pierre

Pierre

Time to create page: 0.494 seconds