Skip to main content

Diesel aero engines

More
3 years 7 months ago #214916 by jeffo
Diesel aero engines was created by jeffo
I’ve noticed a few diesel aero engines recently.
Even Continental have a small unit.
They all feature CRD so I wondered how they proved their electronics was foolproof.
Aero engines of old featured magneto ignition and carbies, all tried and tested components.
I noticed small aeroplanes now had electronic ignition, wasn’t sure if it was full electronic or one set of plugs magneto and the other electronic.
Anyway, the RED AO3 V 12 sounds epic at take off power.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #214918 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Diesel aero engines
The first successful flight of a diesel powered aircraft was made on September 18, 1928, in a Stinson model SM-1DX Detroiter registration number X7654. Around 1936 the heavier but less thirsty diesel engines were preferred over gasoline engines when flight time was over only 6–7 hours.

When we put Chevrolet 454 V8s in the Vickers Vimy CASA demanded a dual ignition system (impossible on the 454). I fought them on the subject and they demanded proof of the GM electronic ignition. We already knew that the mean time between failure for the Bendix magnetos in certified aircraft was 2300 hours (well above the engine overhaul time limits). After lots of calls the GM research department sent me the figures for the bog-standard 454 electronic ignition - 4900 hours! They let us run with that. We got rid of the GM electronic injection and replaced that with simple BMW mechanical to eliminate anything happening in that area. I believe current electronic ignition mean time between failure is up around 10,000 hours.

Modern electronic ignition is so much better than the Model T Ford technology of a mechanical magneto.

Lang

More
3 years 7 months ago #214924 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Diesel aero engines
Do you know if everything is duplicated in these new diesels?
Two sets of injectors wouldn’t be difficult, perhaps running them from twin ecu’s.
If one set failed she’d be down on power but I imagine the smart people could design some way to force the surviving system to compensate.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 7 months ago #214925 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Diesel aero engines
Jeeze
fancy B n in a plane n the engine failed

FCS U'd B stuck up there overnight

LOL

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, cobbadog

More
3 years 7 months ago #214926 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Diesel aero engines
No two injectors not required (like two carbys). Only electrical to keep running. With a diesel there is SFA requiring duplication.

Lang

More
3 years 7 months ago #214928 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Diesel aero engines
But these are CRD's, need the ECU to fire the injectors.
Lost count how many trucks I see on the side of the road with some faulty sensor stopping the show.

More
3 years 7 months ago #214936 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Diesel aero engines
Them planes come with full air brakes Swishy so if something does fail engage the brakes and wait.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 7 months ago #214942 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Diesel aero engines
I seem to remember Guiberson (spelling?) of USA pioneered diesel rotary airplane engines. Ray Gillette in Ballarat had one running.

Swishy and Cobbadog It is very difficult to find a safe parking spot up there!

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 7 months ago #214944 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Diesel aero engines
Ive seen a few of them about.....they were an alternative motor for the small Stuart tanks that the British had .....At one time these tank motors were for sale new in crates for about $1000,which was a lot of money for a toy in the late 60s.

More
3 years 7 months ago #214964 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Diesel aero engines
Morris, not many planes up there at the moment. It should be the safest time to try them air brakes out.
I see Ray Gillet mentioned in regards to having a running aero engine, well he also is the registra for the McDonald engines and when you send him a stampes self addressed envelope Ray sends back a copy of the production sheet with all the details of the engine even down to who bought and from where. As a very pleasant surprise he also sent some high quality reproduction posters of the engines you enquire about. All of this is invaluable to restorers who want to know the history behind your nightmare sitting out the back waiting for more attention.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Time to create page: 0.481 seconds