Skip to main content

Sums up the current way of life

More
3 years 3 hours ago #220918 by cobbadog
This says a lot with the least amount of words.

Then while in the Train Roundhouse at Goulburn we found this little gem just waiting to go out to play.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 hours ago #220919 by cobbadog
Also, while out at Tidbinbilla I thought I would load this disused deep space antenna onto the roof of Bongo so when I am at home I can pick the local radio station. Seems to fit ok.
This particular antenna was the one used for the first 8 and half minutes of the Moon landing while Parkes were comming online due to high wind delays.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Southbound

More
3 years 1 hour ago #220924 by prodrive
Old Norm sums it up pretty well Cob! Can you imagine what the diggers would have thought of all todays goings on... social distancing... lockdowns.. masks.. gender stuff.. blah blah..
The ariel is pretty impressive mate- that should give you some pretty damn good mobile phone signal!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 1 hour ago #220925 by Morris
Cobbadog,That truck owned by the Goulburn Loco Roundhouse mob looks like a Morris badged version of the three tonner Austin/ Morris truck, just like mine, as it does not have the Chromed winged A that the badge engineered Austins had.

I suppose you know that during the telecast of the moon landing American television announcers could not get their tounges around reports from the Australian tracking stations at Honeysuckle Creek and Tidbinbilla, so they combined the names and called them all "HoneyBilla."

I hope that antenna does it for you.:woohoo:

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
2 years 11 months ago #220933 by cobbadog
Hi prodrive, I strongly suspectg that our Diggers were still here today from that era they would invoke 'Rule 303', bang bang.
Yes the truck is yet another gem awaiting an outing and is presented very well just sitting there. As for the antenna, for years I have been in co ntact with radio station 2RE explaning nthat although the signal can be recieved on a car radio it does not when using a clock radio or a 240v radio with what is suppose to have an extremely good reciever built in. I have to chase the signal all morning when working at home and this is on the AM band. When it is lost there I retune to the FM band and get a signal of sorts sometimes. Next morning nothing on the FM and back to the AM.
So I sent this image to the radio station again, they thought it funny but I don't.

More
2 years 11 months ago #220935 by Blackduck59
Cobba,
I hear that, our local station is fine most days but then at times the frequency wanders. Thought it was the house radio at first then one day checked the truck radio and it was off as well so. Weird.
Cheers Steve

More
2 years 11 months ago #220937 by cobbadog
About 18 months ago the station said to be patient as some very important information was comming soon. He indicated that an upgrade of some sort was soon to happen. Maybe going over to digital or the FM band was going to be boosted but nothing.

More
2 years 11 months ago #220945 by Morris
Cobbadog, With your house and any other stationery AM radios, make sure you have an aerial wire running from the aerial contact on the radio to outside the building and as high as you can get. Up a tree is good. Hang a coil of up to about ten circles of any ordinary insulated wire about 6 to 10 inches diameter over the end of the Aerial. It may work on FM as well, I have never tried. Some radio buffs use a television-type antenna for their radio but It would have to be sorted out by somebody who understands radio waves.
Good luck. Let us know what improvement you get.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
2 years 11 months ago #220952 by Bluey60
Hi All for years used an old car radio in the shed with a twelve volt power pack until the power pack got zapped in a storm
Picked up a cheap clock radio and couldn’t get a thing until I hooked up the aerial wire from it to the old car aerial which was mounted on the shed roof now it works a treat

Cheers Bluey

More
2 years 11 months ago #220961 by cobbadog
Thanks guys for the tips. I was also advised to just run a 6 meter length of wire from the terminal on the back of the radio to outside, which made no difference, then connected it to the iron roof again no difference. Was thinking of buying a cheap car radio and antenna and setting it up just get the result but I just might try running it up to the top of the garage roof and hang a loop up there or if I look hard enough to find out which connection to tap into for the TV coax cable that is within reach too.
All things to explore after I catch up with the work crap.

Time to create page: 0.484 seconds